Devils Crusade(rs) and Sin Along The Rockies 23

2 minutes ago, jordsterr said:

In 2021, I was happy to see that drum corps could still be awesome without competition. I'm getting old, and I'm kind of over the numbers.

I'm with you. I really enjoyed 2021 more than most seasons because there were no scores. I used to get so uspet about them, but it's been a long time since I have. It doesn't really matter, although I talk about it too much. But when I watch and listen to past shows I don't even think about where the show placed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Well, math tells me they started at least by 2000 or so. 

But seriously, guard getting a big caption value on the score sheets is relatively recent; idk how they were choosing top guard beforehand but somehow they did

As I recall, there was an assumption/belief(?) that whomever took high GE had the best guard.  

Which I guess made sense. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

A lot, I think. I hate that BD wins. I want to see BD 4th or 7th or 10th. I like seeing new corps win and the top corps struggle from time to time. It's so boring that they win all the time, but I'd rather have it be boring and fair than exciting and unfair.

BD certainly makes scores much more boring to follow. I don’t even care about scores as much as I used to because it’s not even much of a competition for 1st much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KPinCAL said:

BD certainly makes scores much more boring to follow. I don’t even care about scores as much as I used to because it’s not even much of a competition for 1st much. 

Yeah, I really had a come to Jesus with myself after finals in 2015. I was so beyond devastated and furious that Crown lost. It was so upsetting I said to myself I either need to calm down or never follow this activity again. I would have been banned had I been here back then. It's fun to talk about shows and scores, but it's so much easier when you just don't let it get to you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good night all. I gotta go watch Jersey Shore. Things are heating up in Florence. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Yeah, well I just heard there was booing which sounded strange to me. You'll all beat them several times in '86. I loved that Star show.

Wow, what a show to march '87 Garfield. To this day, my two favorite shows are '87 Vanguard and '87 Garfield. I still hum Appalachian Spring all the time.

I remember the only time we saw you in '88 during the season, at Morgantown, WVA. We were in the stands watching you (I was a rookie). As your show went on, the mood of the vets got worse and worse, and I just heard mumblings from them about how you were destroying us. When scores were announced you had 89.0 and we had an 88.9. That was such an unbelievable thrill. As a Jr. Scout watching Garfield, particularly in '84, '85 and '87 I could never imagine that I would ever be as good as Garfield, much less end up beating them.

Your '88 show is HUGELY underrated. Such a brilliant show. 

Right back atcha!  I remember waiting in the tunnel in 88 and seeing the end of your show and hearing the crowd go nuts!!  Still one of my favorites!

Btw, in 88, we traded off who was "horn sergeant" at retreat between age ours.  I got to do one time only, and that was in Morgantown!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Let me guess, your not impartial, from California and a huge BD fan? 

I'm not impartial.  I like shows that I like🤣

I grew up in TN, have lived in OH for the past 25 years, and I marched in corps from IN and NJ.  I do like visiting CA.  I was in San Francisco a couple weeks ago for the opera, and I loved it as always!

I'm definitely a BD fan. They're great!  Also a huge fan of Crown, Coats, Madison, Phantom, Cavies, etc, etc, etc. But Cadets is my team!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

I'm with you. I really enjoyed 2021 more than most seasons because there were no scores. I used to get so uspet about them, but it's been a long time since I have. It doesn't really matter, although I talk about it too much. But when I watch and listen to past shows I don't even think about where the show placed.

Truth!  In my youth in the 80's, I could tell you every placement.  Now I hardly remember who won in any year.

• Like 1