Broken Arrow 18 July 2023 - the Show, not the Accident (nor the Movie)

33 minutes ago, GraysonHarris said:

Sounds like Green Bay Packers fans in the NFL as of late 🙂

<checks Packers season tickets>
How did you know ?!?!?!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Random thought, why do you want Crown to medal again this year? What is it about getting 3rd that changes an entire outlook of a season compared to finishing 4th? And would the discussion be the same for 6th or 7th?

I'm not trying to box you in or call you out on anything, I'm actually just curious (probably should have just started a new thread to be honest). To me, the only placements that matter in DCI are 1st at finals (you'll always be known as the champions and get to do an encore run) and 12th place on Semis (congrats on making finals!). Any other placement, just doesn't really matter in the end. And I say that from the perspective of just entertainment and enjoyment of the shows, not organizational success and future because I fully understand that as a corps drops down the rankings and out of finals, their recruitment COULD suffer but that's not guaranteed (look at Colts and Mandarins this year).

I just have always wondered this and finally put the question out there. My assumption is that people just want to see their favorite corps or shows rewarded which makes sense, but I just personally think people put way too much emphasis on that instead of just enjoying it all.

There are three medals, Gold, Silver and Bronze, not to mention the Ott, Zingalie and Sanford. just saying

Random thought, why do you want Crown to medal again this year? What is it about getting 3rd that changes an entire outlook of a season compared to finishing 4th? And would the discussion be the same for 6th or 7th?

I

DCI bears some responsibility for creating the monster of impressions when they started the gold-silver-bronze thing. It used to be just the winner got a medal, and being in the “top 5” was a big deal because those corps made the live portion of the PBS broadcast. By creating a line between Bronze and 4th, they devalued 4th in the process, even though we know that can be decided by minuscule fractions of a point. Crankiness was created where there need be none.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

DCI bears some responsibility for creating the monster of impressions when they started the gold-silver-bronze thing. It used to be just the winner got a medal, and being in the “top 5” was a big deal because those corps made the live portion of the PBS broadcast. By creating a line between Bronze and 4th, they devalued 4th in the process, even though we know that can be decided by minuscule fractions of a point. Crankiness was created where there need be none.

That's a good point and that was a silly move in my opinion. 

I think the worst places to finish are 2nd, 13th and 26th for obvious reasons. 

At the end of the day if placements matter to the top corps there's only one place that matters - 1st. So really not much of a difference between 2nd and 4th - at the end of the day you still didn't win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

The prestige of the top three goes back to the earliest days of DCI. Until 1980 SCV prided itself on being the only corps to place in the top three each year at finals. It was a big deal when Blue Devils placed in the top three for the first time in 1975 and in 1982 when Garfield Cadets made the top three for the first time. Honoring the top three is pretty common in many activities.

On 7/17/2023 at 8:20 AM, GlenI said:

I'm really looking for the first face-to-face between Phantom and Cadets. Also wanting to see the how momentum between the big 4 corps is panning out. In recent years, Boston has had a way of adding a twist near the end of the season for a final pop of excitement. While I live in the Boston Area, I've struggled to warm up to the corps for some reason. But their appeal just can't be denied over the last few years. And the complexity of the brass score and visual frenzy in the drill is astonishing. It will be interesting to see how far they can take it. The competition at this level is really exciting. Let's see how the gaps change or if any of them can overtake the others! 

BTW, has anyone noticed that Flo has improved this year, both in the quality of the camera work and consistency of it's delivery? 

Hi it’s a person from the future, phantom did not compete

17 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

On the topic of PBS, why not bring them back? Imagine your little kid watching like Wild Kratts or something like that and then an announcer goes at 7:00pm “Ladies and Gentlemen PBS is proud to welcome you to the Drum Corps International Finals!” Would draw in more people

• Like 4

I'm not trying to box you in or call you out on anything, I'm actually just curious (probably should have just started a new thread to be honest). To me, the only placements that matter in DCI are 1st at finals (you'll always be known as the champions and get to do an encore run) and 12th place on Semis (congrats on making finals!). Any other placement, just doesn't really matter in the end. And I say that from the perspective of just entertainment and enjoyment of the shows, not organizational success and future because I fully understand that as a corps drops down the rankings and out of finals, their recruitment COULD suffer but that's not guaranteed (look at Colts and Mandarins this year).

I just have always wondered this and finally put the question out there. My assumption is that people just want to see their favorite corps or shows rewarded which makes sense, but I just personally think people put way too much emphasis on that instead of just enjoying it all.

I think that this year, who places 2nd, 3rd, and 4th will be a huge deal, especially if Blue Devils win. 2nd was tied last year and Bloo and BAC both want at least 2nd without a tie.  Crown would love a return to the top three and believed they s deserved a better placement last year and Crown, BAC, and Bloo seem evenly mag he’d. 

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The prestige of the top three goes back to the earliest days of DCI. Until 1980 SCV prided itself on being the only corps to place in the top three each year at finals. It was a big deal when Blue Devils placed in the top three for the first time in 1975 and in 1982 when Garfield Cadets made the top three for the first time. Honoring the top three is pretty common in many activities.

Yes, but that was an informal line. When a hard line of medal/no medal was established, it can change the impression from “close to the top,” to “outside the gate.” Regardless of the use In Olympics, etc., etc., it wasn’t present in DCI until it was.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

Valid points, but the competitive aspect and rankings drive hard work and effort to sharpen technique and gives way to improvement across musicianship, teamwork, and performance quality. If you take the scoring away, then what are the corps STRIVING for? Sure, they can put on a hell of a performance and entertain thousands, but the scores allow a quantitative perspective and keeps most corps working to get better and continually improve. Plus, it makes for storylines and contributes to corps pride and achievement. Earning a bronze medal and edging out 4th place may mean the world to a MM who has worked all their young life to achieve a set goal. It sets a standard of success. 

I never said take scoring away, but you raise valid points about the medals.