Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

2 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Bostons design team was at Crown prior for about a dozen years. Changing corps doesn't eliminate your experience. I believe Dean Westman and Doug Thrower have been at Bluecoats since 2002. 

People are putting too much stock in the staff longevity at BD, because the cumulative experience at the top corps is relatively equal. 

Big Bird was correct.  Most of Bluecoats design team has been together since 2013.
That is when Jon Vanderkolff, Jim Moore, and Dean Westman first arrived.  Doug Thrower came in the late 90s.  Rarick soon after.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

OK I give up. There is nothing wrong with one corps winning 60% of the time, judges are never wrong and BD is universally loved and anyone who questions that is just a hater. You win

When presented with actual data that does not align with your assertion that BD's excellence is bad for drum corps, you give up. Sounds about right. 

I would love to know what store you buy your strawmen from, since you've been throwing them around quite a bit in this thread. No one called you a hater, people just disagree with you. No need to play the victim

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

OK I give up. There is nothing wrong with one corps winning 60% of the time, judges are never wrong and BD is universally loved and anyone who questions that is just a hater. You win

Neither was that their counter claim. 

It's not a rigid "either/or" here about BD. it's a spectrum of opinions. 

• Thanks 7

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

When presented with actual data that does not align with your assertion that BD's excellence is bad for drum corps, you give up. Sounds about right. 

I would love to know what store you buy your strawmen from, since you've been throwing them around quite a bit in this thread. No one called you a hater, people just disagree with you. No need to play the victim

Well I know for a fact the my BD fatigue is driving me away from the activity. I am giving it one more season since I am marching Crossmen alumni corps, but I am already pretty much done. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

Well I know for a fact the my BD fatigue is driving me away from the activity. I am giving it one more season since I am marching Crossmen alumni corps, but I am already pretty much done. 

Sorry to hear that. I encourage you to just enjoy the shows that you enjoy at face value much like most others do who love the activity but may not necessarily like BD’s artistic inclination. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Every other year there was a better designed, more exciting, or more interesting show on the field. 

That’s not subjective at all. Funny enough, I can’t even think of a single champion at least since 2000 that fits all 3 categories for me…

• Thanks 4

59 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

That’s not subjective at all. Funny enough, I can’t even think of a single champion at least since 2000 that fits all 3 categories for me…

Of course it's subjective, most things are in this activity. Everything I've stated is my opinion (as has everyone else), one I've honed over 30 years as a performer, designer, composer, and highly trained musician. You're free to disagree obviously. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

I am trying to figure out why not. How many people actually have heard of Fredrico Felinni or Henri Mattisee? How many people are familiar with the painting Dreams and Nighthawks? 

These are all about as famous as art gets for stuff that isn’t outright pop culture, honestly. Like, this is all Western Canon-level, touchstone stuff.

Maybe the best way to explain it would be to liken it all back to The Rite of Spring, when BD did that. Has “everyone” heard of Stravinsky or ROS? No. Can you in any reasonable way deny that it’s an extremely canonical, famous, enduring piece of music? No, you really can’t.  

IMO everything you named is basically that level of notoriety. For example: Dreams and Nighthawks is so famous for an American painting that shows like The Simpsons could parody it in the 90s and most people would get the visual reference. I’ve seen parodies of it everywhere — cartoons, ads, movies, etc  etc. Fellini’s “La Dolce Vita” is like that; and Matisse is general art history in the same way.

None of which means you’re a bad or uninformed person for not knowing it! Again, its not that “everyone” knows this stuff, it’s that it’s all about as canonical as it gets. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wilme861 said:

okay but that’s kinda cheating because there were 2 champions that year 😛