NightBEAT 34 - July 30th, 2023

6 minutes ago, MarchMello10 said:

But does it require it? Last i checked you could just as easily enjoy the music and movement without context, no?

that was the point of my comment in my comments that started this discussion.   I did not enjoy that drum break at all and the narration seemed to drown out a lot of the stick-work the drumline was doing.

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

That would be a yes for me, and apparently a lot of other people judging by the crowd reactions, not to mention an early season thread in which they were very competitive as people’s favorite corps.  

I don’t understand being angry just because one show isn’t your cup of tea.  I don’t get into every show every year, but I’m glad there are others that do.

People are not angry because one show is not their cup of tea. They are angry that the show in question wins over and over again against shows that are their cup of tea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gjramsey said:

that was the point of my comment in my comments that started this discussion.   I did not enjoy that drum break at all and the narration seemed to drown out a lot of the stick-work the drumline was doing.

Very valid and fair, it’s just that the conversation took on a different light.

I initially responded to you because you mentioned that you shouldn’t have to do research to understand the deep theme of a show, but I struggle to understand what type of depth you hope to achieve without some type of prior context?

in a vacuum, without any research nessesary, drum corps can only convey simple or abstract concepts, the research element is practically required to gain a deeper meaning, in most cases that don’t involve a subject that is shared human experience such as loss, grief, love, etc

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Knowing what the shows “mean” should certainly add appreciation for what the corps are doing, but i would enjoy these shows even if I didn’t know the deeper significances. 

I rarely go out of my way to understand a show theme anymore. It's not worth the effort, I just choose my favorite musical books nowadays. Even the visual is so secondary to me because staging has become the name of the game to the point that visual programs aren't really anything that special in my eyes

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

People are not angry because one show is not their cup of tea. They are angry that the show in question wins over and over again against shows that are their cup of tea. 

I’ve been watching shows that are my cup of tea not win for 25 years and I have never been angered by that.  A little disappointed maybe but not angry.

Only one corps can win in any case, and I like a heck of a lot more shows than one each year.  So if I was angry all the other shows didn’t win, I would have to be angry every year.  

Doesn’t seem like a good way to enjoy the activity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I’ve been watching shows that are my cup of tea not win for 25 years and I have never been angered by that.  A little disappointed maybe but not angry.

Only one corps can win in any case, and I like a heck of a lot more shows than one each year.  So if I was angry all the other shows didn’t win, I would have to be angry every year.  

Doesn’t seem like a good way to enjoy the activity.

Great for you!

I wouldn't call it anger, but frustration. The winning shows cause other shows to emulate them, which, if you don't like the winning shows isn't a very fun thing to see being emulated by most of the other shows.

One of the things I don't personally care for is all the staging and the shimmy... Whelp, every corps does staging, and many of them are doing a hip shimmy that looks dumb and is never together.

...so for me, not anger, but frustration.

Even this year, there are fewer shows to love, and one of my long-standing friends who has gone to Championships for a long time is considering not renewing his DCI finals week activities in the future.

He's hoping that BD can be that one corps to get him excited by the end of the season, but he's not been excited for many years. He was, of course, reluctant to share this with me, but so many of my friends have left the activity over the years, and it's exactly because of things like this...

Imagine how many more shows would be needed because of the demand if shows weren't so polarizing. I'd imagine at least a double-digit percentage increase. I mean, students are going to love whatever they're given to perform, but fans aren't...

Just my opinion based on what I've seen over my time on the planet.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

One of the things I don't personally care for is all the staging and the shimmy... Whelp, every corps does staging, and many of them are doing a hip shimmy that looks dumb and is never together.

I keep seeing folks reference the “BD shimmy”… what is this/where in the show is this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gjramsey said:

Sorry, i don't feel like I need to do research to enjoy a show or movements in a show.   And most fans only seeing one show during the year, would not care to dig deep into the meaning.   This goes for any and all corps.   

This sentiment is always so disappointing to hear when most folks literally have access to the entire world in the palm of their hands at any given moment.

But I agree with you that a show should be able to be enjoyed at surface level just as much as when wanting/needing to dig deeper into meaning.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Even the visual is so secondary to me because staging has become the name of the game to the point that visual programs aren't really anything that special in my eyes

There are not many ways, that haven't already been done before, to dress up a parade formation, follow the leader while jogging, "All who were counted ones march to your right, and all the number twos march to your left" in a box formation, etc.  

8 minutes ago, arabica said:

I keep seeing folks reference the “BD shimmy”… what is this/where in the show is this?

Its where the member moves their body weight from side to side in an exaggerated fashion. Its been in every BD show for over a decade.