Allentown uh-oh

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Like in the dome in Atlanta that DCI can’t afford for one day.  

didn't say that. i just said if they got a dome they'd probably make it a one day show

16 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Like in the dome in Atlanta that DCI can’t afford for one day.  

That's what happens when public money is used to build a stadium, them let the primary tenant operate it and keep the profits

On 8/1/2023 at 8:32 PM, Tony Flores said:

That's what happens when public money is used to build a stadium, them let the primary tenant operate it and keep the profits

public money built J. Birney Crum too. it's the school district stadium

On 8/1/2023 at 6:55 AM, Fred Windish said:

Stadium capacity is always a visual mystery. Older, bench-type seating, venues often seat more people per lineal feet than more modern facilities. Allentown is certainly old in most every way. Primarily, its seating is cramped, aisles narrow. Part of the reason is there are no armrests to restrict patrons to equal-sized spaces. Extra cells around the waist must push upward, not outward! No cup holders, etc.

Installing chairback seating at newer facilities, while greatly increasing comfort, has the effect of making huge new places appear to have the same amount of seats per 100 yards as older, bench seating places. They do not. Also note, the newer facilities generally have many more aisles, more entry portals and maybe an added horizontal walkway removing out a few previous rows of bench seats. All provide greater creature comfort.

As grandiose as Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy is, the amount of concert side seats suitable for drum corps is (just my guess) about 22,000 seats. Great place, of course. I’ve been there a few times, and enjoy it.

My expectation is, DCI will be able to relocate affected persons adequately.

Thinking it through, possibly any damaged plank sections can be removed. In their place can be temporary fold-up stadium seats like families take to sports events. Who knows how this will be remedied this year?  

I’ll be watching on Flo.  Anxious to hear reports from the scene !

Villanova?

52 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Villanova?

OooooKay . . . .

Nice venue, beautiful campus surrounded by expensive neighborhood real estate. Excellent condition all around, some chair back seats, great press box, artificial turf. bright lights. Been there several times for football day and night. Studied it years ago along with Franklin Field, Old Temple Stadium, former Veterans Stadium, and former JFK Stadium for possible use for DCA Championship.  Came closest to an agreement with Veteran’s Stadium.

More on Villanova -

12,500 total seats.  Concert side capacity about 7,000. However, 2,000 of the seats are beyond the back of the goal line, so 5,000 seats goal-to-goal.

As a replacement venue for this weekend’s Allentown event . . . just too small.

Edited by Fred Windish

12 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

OooooKay . . . .

Nice venue, beautiful campus surrounded by expensive neighborhood real estate. Excellent condition all around, some chair back seats, great press box, artificial turf. bright lights. Been there several times for football day and night. Studied it years ago along with Franklin Field, Old Temple Stadium, former Veterans Stadium, and former JFK Stadium for possible use for DCA Championship.  Came closest to an agreement with Veteran’s Stadium.

More on Villanova -

12,500 total seats.  Concert side capacity about 7,000. However, 2,000 of the seats are beyond the back of the goal line, so 5,000 seats goal-to-goal.

As a replacement venue for this weekend’s Allentown event . . . just too small.

I thought it might be too small.  I saw 12,500 but didn’t think about useable seats. 

Dunno if this has been mentioned...but how about UDel's new digs as a replacement for JBC?  

Edit: whoops, just looked back a little further and saw that it indeed has been discussed. Carry on... 

Edited by RedUnit

3 hours ago, ykw said:

I figured I'd chime in here with Friday night's weather forecast...

The Weather Channel

0CE0Orz.jpg

WFMZ local showing a much better forecast 

• Like 1