What in the world is going on with DCI?

Having a relatively extensive connection to all things DCI since the late 1980's, I am coming to terms with the inevitable demise of drum and bugle corps. I recall the craze around wanting those special t-shirts and actually struggling which to buy  because there were so
many memorable programs. Over the last few seasons, I keep returning with the thought that things surely must be better. Conclusion, it is complete torture trying to find joy in watching/listening to 3 corps. I actually used to sit and watch Quarter Finals, Semi-Finals and Finals with only intermission as a break. Today, teams are running 
around in crap for uniforms, no shakos, and let me not forget all of the singing/voiceovers etc... Ok, trombones, harmonicas etc = BOA. The hand full of directors that are out there are all that is left between fielding maybe 8 corps in the near future. I hate being so dark and negative but you would have to be crazy to think folks are walking back to their cars
humming the vast majority of what is being given to performers to perform.  I close with another observation, COLOR GUARD writers, for the love of God, try to write a phrase or two without crap flying in the air. Tossing non-stop is NOT effective and there are clearly phrasing being written WITHOUT ever looking at a musical score. Sorry, one more thing,  why are the judges the SAME people that were judging when I marched in the 1990's? Why are they rewarding the same old
same old formulas being put out there each year. Enough is enough!! If you are reading this post and it is 2030's and you want to know what happened to DCI, you might just have read but a small list of reason for the activity to be a thing of the past.

All it takes is for the Blue devils to nearly 2 point the field and the crazies start coming out of the woodwork 🙄

im eagerly awaiting the next thread to be called “is DCI dying?” 

• Haha 4

So tonight, I’ve learned that:

(1) We should get some of those new-fangled judges from “Carolina” who “don’t love Blue Devils so much”. 

(2) Color guards toss way too much. 

What a fun evening on DCP! 🤙

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Only thing I’ll agree with is how incestuous DCI is. Too many of the designers from the top hs bands designing top corps. Be nice to see some new ideas from new people. 

This argument I’d be willing to get on board with. Only problem is I strongly believe things need to happen organically. I wouldn’t want some rule in place saying x designers only get x amount of years and then must bow out type of deal or something to that effect if that makes sense 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

This argument I’d be willing to get on board with. Only problem is I strongly believe things need to happen organically. I wouldn’t want some rule in place saying x designers only get x amount of years and then must bow out type of deal or something to that effect if that makes sense 

So we want designers to have an age-out year?

• Haha 2