Blue Devils -- Too good for the rest of DCI?

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Did you read my previous post? There is no solution. There is nothing that can be done. The rule for the foreseeable future is BD going undefeated every year, any time that does not happen will be the exception. 

Then why waste your time following it?

• Like 2

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Hence my nihilism all together. 

But what I am saying isn't a lie. BD hasn't finished lower than 2nd in 20 years and has finished 1st all but 6 times in the past 20 years. 

5 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Sometimes it's enough to just push back against the arrogant sycophants, even if it doesn't really mean anything. Most people on here have never, and will never, have any kind of impact on the upper echelons of the pageantry activities, they just like to gossip and rant for their team, and meet any critique of their favorites as a challenge to their personal identity. Some of us find that last part particularly annoying, so while I know you would likely prefer to continue to do so unfettered, sometimes it's enough to point out the Dunning Kruger and be the fly in the ointment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I have come to a realization.

DCI is not a fair competitive league, nor can it be. How you can say the BD and Jersey Surf are in the same competitive division? I think the motto of "Marching Music's Major League" is misleading as if the competition was on a even playing field. You cannot compare it to sports because there is no way to do things that sports leagues do to enforce parity like revenue sharing, salary caps and reverse draft orders because these organizations do not pay the members, the members pay them and you cannot tell people how to spend their money. 

I have also realized that the drum corps activity does not exist for the audience. It exists solely for the marching members. Drum corps is a high end intensive pageantry camp for young people. Sure there is an audience that loves the activity, but at the end of the day, it does not exist for them. Much like the various community bands and orchestras I play for, we exists for people to play, not as much for people to watch us. 

BD is going to start every year on 3rd base. Cant blame them for doing everything right, but at the same time, they have every structural advantage in the world, from location, favorable state laws that allow their bingo (Glassmen anyone?) DCI advantages such as better and closer housing sites and later gate times which allow for more floor time and more rehearsal time. They have also done all of the right things by diversifying their portfolio (the Bill cook model in a way) with System Blue, buying US BANDS and BD entertainment. 

It also seems that BD is going to have right of first refusal with a majority of their talent. You often hear of players from other top corps going to BD, even feature soloists, but not so much the other way around. 

In the end, the rule is going to be BD winning every year, anyone else winning will be the exception to that rule. To me that is a sad reality. 

I don't disagree with what your are saying but they built what they have through amazing management and consistency. They EARNED everything they have won. The 3rd base is not a given.....it's all EARNED!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Probably should just accept Blue Devils being #### good and if anyone is going to catch them, they better be #### better than BD. 

• Like 5

Just now, DFA1970 said:

I don't disagree with what your are saying but they built what they have through amazing management and consistency. They EARNED everything they have won. The 3rd base is not a given.....it's all EARNED!!!!!!

I see it more as old money rather than new money when talking about it in a wealth point of view. Yes somebody along the way made the right decisions and the current people are maintaining those gains, but kids from other top 4 corps go to BD, not the other way around. That did not happen overnight. So I believe today more than 20 years ago 3rd base is more given than earned.  

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I see it more as old money rather than new money when talking about it in a wealth point of view. Yes somebody along the way made the right decisions and the current people are maintaining those gains, but kids from other top 4 corps go to BD, not the other way around. That did not happen overnight. So I believe today more than 20 years ago 3rd base is more given than earned.  

Old money...new money? What???

Just now, DFA1970 said:

Old money...new money? What???

Its a metaphor.