Blue Devils -- Too good for the rest of DCI?

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Where’s BRASSO when you need him? 

Whoa that's a name I haven't heard in a while!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

P.S.  -  I think either Boston or Carolina will get a win over Blue Devils this year. Boston, in particular. They are always a huge favorite in Allentown and I believe they can play off that to great height.  We shall see.

Oh, yes . . .  my two favorite productions this year are Phantom Regiment and Mandarins. These are my 2023 Champions!

Boston Crusaders often do amazing performances at Allentown. In recent years it’s taken place after their final home show. If they don’t feel the love of alums and fans after that show, it will never happen. This follows them to Allentown. It’s a great venue for Crown too. I’ve often felt you see Crown’s best performances in Indy, but often their most passionate performance is in Allentown. 

My prediction is Blue Devils will win on Friday night. What will be key is how close Bloo will get to BD. My hope and prediction is BAC will place first on Saturday with Crown very close behind. I’m on solid ground here. What would not surprise me is if the Saturday 1st Place score is higher than the Friday night 1st place score which could make for very interesting speculation between Allentown to Indy. Can the numbers folks tell me I’m off base, yes and they’d have their points. Of course Mother Nature may have a say in the matter. Weather Underground says 58% chance for showers on both nights and as you know, chance of thunderstorms in the Northeast this summer has meant torrential downpours, flooding, and tornado warnings! 🌪️ 

BD has yes, a great stable staff, lots of resources, a great experience for the kids. 

But the elephant in the room for this conversation to me is show design. I really don’t think Boston and Crown are that far away from from BD in the technical achievement of the members. But, I do think show design is where BD just obliterates everyone.

The drill is always on point, the arrangements are always fantastic, and they use great source music. And I think most importantly there is a purpose to every moment they are presenting that relates and furthers the concept of each show. THAT, the judges can easily reward because it’s like yes: there is clarity in intent back to the concept through what the members are presenting. I think it helps that the work of Henry Matise is more high brow than say the white whale, but that is why we have 4 GE judges.

Is there a formula to the design year in year out…? Yes. But concepts vary dramatically.

Yes like BD 2012 was a weird show sure, but that staff had an in-house design that was always laser focused on relating back to the original concept while having complete trust of the membership. That’s what you need! 

that’s my two cents 

Edited by WarriorWay
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

Whoa that's a name I haven't heard in a while!

Don’t forget Granny Smith, although her comments usually centered around Troopers.

• Like 2

BD is basically like the Patriots; they have a drum corp Dynasty going right now and lots of people want to see them lose. It was the same way with Cavaliers in the 2000s, as well as, the Cadets many times. 

BD has an excellent show this year. I personally enjoy it. They’ve clearly earned their spot at number 1. I still don’t think they are unbeatable yet though. While I think any of the next 3 could potentially win, Crowns show IMO seems to have the groundwork laid to flex up aggressively.

But I digress, no, BD is fine where they are. I have nothing but respect for them and their show this year. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NewArpege said:

BD is basically like the Patriots; they have a drum corp Dynasty going right now and lots of people want to see them lose. It was the same way with Cavaliers in the 2000s, as well as, the Cadets many times. 

Someone needs to find a sports team other than the New England Patriots as a reference point to Blue Devils.  Patriots haven't won a playoff game in 5 years, going on 6. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

But the elephant in the room for this conversation to me is show design. I really don’t think Boston and Crown are that far away from from BD in the technical achievement of the members. But, I do think show design is where BD just obliterates everyone.

This. Their design is so strong and layered. Bluecoats are getting the closest to them in this aspect and I think a component of that is some staff members that come from the broader world of art and design. Boston and Crown have really good marching arts shows, but there is something elevated about the compositions of the BD and BC shows, whether it be the visual look, movement style, or the theatrical way they handle entrances and exits. They are like great overall entertainment productions in general, that happen to have a basis in marching arts/pageantry.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

This. Their design is so strong and layered. Bluecoats are getting the closest to them in this aspect and I think a component of that is some staff members that come from the broader world of art and design. Boston and Crown have really good marching arts shows, but there is something elevated about the compositions of the BD and BC shows, whether it be the visual look, movement style, or the theatrical way they handle entrances and exits. They are like great overall entertainment productions in general, that happen to have a basis in marching arts/pageantry.

Agreed!

Ya know, thinking about it, I wouldn't mind a "salary cap" for DCI that is more of a spending cap so long as it doesn't affect the safety and quality of care the members get season to season. Might help get the spending in control and make things a bit more competitive while at the same time making the activity more sustainable in the long term

• Like 2