Crum-ble on the hill in Allentown - August 4, 2023

If being on different days despite a consistent panel makes this contest totally incomparable for competition purposes, then it just needs to be on one day then. Such a stupid set up for the last regional before finals.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Different nights, different conditions, different shows. I know DCI’s line on this being one show, but that’s just hogwash. Look at how Crown did at Allentown in 2019 and 2022 and how they did at finals. Scored higher than SCV in 2019 and finished behind them at finals, and scored higher than Boston and Bluecoats last year and finished behind both at finals. 

You can’t say Boston was a half point ahead of Bluecoats and therefore, because BD was also a half point ahead of Bluecoats they must be even with BD. They are not. Two different shows.

Unless it’s the same show, on the same night, at the same venue, and with the same panel, you can’t compare scores. Simple as.

I never said no one would get within 2 or 3 points of BD. I said they would go undefeated and win the title. I still stand by that.

It’s not arrogance. It’s getting beyond your bias. It’s understanding what separates a championship show from an exceptionally good show. It’s understanding BD is the best corps across all captions. It’s understanding Crown, Boston and Bluecoats have weaknesses that BD doesn’t. It’s understanding what the judges are rewarding at the highest level and what they are not. It’s understanding that only shows like 2008 Regiment, 2011 Cadets, 2013 Crown, 2016 Bluecoats and 2018 Vanguard beat BD, and we ain’t got none of those shows this year. 

Let’s get past the fallacy that BD has no weaknesses.  Unless you are winning every caption every performance, you have a weakness, or more specifically a performance level that enables another corps to win that caption.  What will be said if BD doesn’t win next week?  Will there be excuses of some sort? Or will it be that a corps actually put a performance together that was rewarded with a win?  BD has shown vulnerability.  But it will require a corps to hit on all captions and get past a bias that BD can’t be beat.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LabMaster said:

No. Shows are shows, practices are rehearsals when you’re on the road.  Practice you do at home.

Call it what you want, but corps improve after days of shows just as they improve after days without shows.  

I used to track and graph every score throughout the season.  On average, they went up around half a point per day regardless of whether those days were filled with shows or not.  

• Like 1

Just now, lawdn said:

@MandarinMom I meant that as a tribute to your daughter! She is fearless as she kicks off the show, and we all know it is pretty much impossible for a hat to stay on through that sequence without superglue. 

I know! I'm mad I can't do multiple reactions here because you did make me giggle. 

• Like 1

Just now, skevinp said:

Call it what you want, but corps improve after days of shows just as they improve after days without shows.  

I used to track and graph every score throughout the season.  On average, they went up around half a point per day regardless of whether those days were filled with shows or not.  

Unless you're the blue stars this year. In two weeks they've moved 2 points. 

It’s the end of the season for sure everyone is going feral 💀 

Didn't read a lot of stuff the last week and made last night a much more enjoyable viewing experience. Some things I agree with some things that make me go hmm but not gonna lose sleep over any of it.  Should be fun tonight seeing where everyone fits in!

• Like 4