DCI Prelims - Big, Loud, and Live - August 10th, 2023

Cavies we’re amazing. Don’t think they’ll pass anyone up in the next group, but they’re very close. So happy to see them get this show this clean.

• Like 7

This is the ending we have been waiting for.

• Like 1

1.     Cavaliers

2.     Colts

3.     Blue Star

4.     Troopers

5.     Crossmen

6.     Blue Knights

7.     Pacific Crest

8.     Spirit of Atlanta

Wow this show is leaps and bounds from where it was in San Antonio! Great job Cavies. 

• Like 5

Who was last drumline to win drums in a much lower overall placing corps?  Bridgemen?

there's so much to love in the cavies show.  some nice brass moments, the percussion speaks for itself, and i feel like the music ensemble writing and programming is a huge strength of this corps.  the back half of the show loses clarity for me, especially musically, though i love the homage to past shows. 

the guard with the white flags in the middle of the corps along with the run and gun drill at the end got me.  

i'm not being negative with what i'm about to say, so please don't read it like that. 

i think it's safe to say the cavies are in a rebuilding phase, and I would love to see them hold off on all or mostly original music in the near feature.  saucedo has shown he can take themes and ostinatos form great works of others with similar writing styles to his (mctee and daugherty in 2000 for example) and make them into a cavies special.  i feel like in a rebuilding time period that would work better. 

• Like 2

Just now, jasgre2000 said:

Cavies we’re amazing. Don’t think they’ll pass anyone up in the next group, but they’re very close. So happy to see them get this show this clean.

I could see them getting by Regiment. Their show is much more complex and that drum line may push them over the top. We'll see how I feel after Regiment.

• Confused 1

While the 1-4 fight is gonna be interesting, I am waaay more interested in seeing what happens in the 5-8 game!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Niagara Falls ending. Haha! Nostalgia. Brass and percussion doing Cavie things. Guard has gotten way better than their Atlanta run. This show just lacks the general effect and that Cavies drill that pushes the envelope