DCI Judging - YT Video by Funliner Productions

1 hour ago, TOC said:

Wasn't there a lady guard judge years back who seemed to look kindly on BD?  Didn't she recently begin working with another WC corps?  

Torch? I dunno I’ve seen her mocked

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Debbie judged a show this summer 

i don't remember it being BD love but hatred to a different team

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

No when you raised one person versus a full field I clarified that they may not be looking at the same part of the body. You continue to try circular logic and every time I’m able to call it out and counter.

Its not circular logic. I understand that a person looking at a single person may focusing at a part of the body, but its a huge way away of being 50 yards away from something. A person looking at a single person will have a much greater chance of seeing the whole picture than a person looking at 150 people over 120 yards. Thats all I was saying.

If anything your logic is circular, because the idea of not being able to question a judge because they cant be everywhere at once is saying they are infallible because of their fallibility. 

Edited by ContraFart

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

I remember hearing some people say that Debbie Torchia was on the BD payroll, but one year at a TOC event (Houston??), she hit BDs guard over the head with a frying pan, absolutely leveled them, and that accusation went out the window. Haven't heard it since. 

This happens with every judge. People will claim BD bias loudly and proudly until a result proving otherwise finally shuts the stupidity up. When you’re consistently cream of the crop year after year, it’s easy to accuse every DCI judge of bias towards BD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Well I started out this thread by honestly not knowing how content and achievement scores were interconnected, and some people including you gave me some really great information.  @jwillis35 gave a great explanation which I appreciated and understood where he was coming from but I wondered why content was separately scored and not just incorporated into the box rubrics. I then mentioned that when DCI judges are criticized, the defense is always their fallibility and the limitation of what they can see rather than in philosophy itself, then I made the comparison to figure skating when it comes to objective comparisons, which became the hyper fixation and the thread devolved from there. 

So what is the broader conversation? I guess I just want challenge the current philosophy and at least have people think about how we got to the current judging system and if there is still room for improvement. Judging art seems like an impossible task which needs to always be examined in my opinion. 

I have been told that the best way for me to understand is to become a judge myself. I am not against that idea, but as I stated earlier in this thread my location gives hurdles to that idea. At the same time I also feel like its telling a person that has questions about God to go to church, which in one perspective is a perfectly rational idea, but completely ludicrous in another perspective. Am I going to have a broad philosophical conversation, or be told how to believe? 

Maybe I am too Socratic for a message board because every time I keep broadening the question, I am accused of moving the goal posts. 

I don't disagree. There is ALWAYS room for improvement, and I have to believe that DCI strives to achieve that, year in and year out. 

As far as "too Socratic", I don't perceive you in that way. "Socratic Seminars" have been used by me all the time in over thirty years of education. There's nothing wrong with asking the questions. 

I appreciate you, ContraFart. 🙂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

This happens with every judge. People will claim BD bias loudly and proudly until a result proving otherwise finally shuts the stupidity up. When you’re consistently cream of the crop year after year, it’s easy to accuse every DCI judge of bias towards BD

Same thing with Chumley. Do you have "the package" and perform the crap out of it? You get points. Down year, not so much in the way of performance? You will be scored accordingly.

Here's the kicker, though: Blue Devils do NOT have down yearsTherefore, they are rewarded accordingly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Its not circular logic. I understand that a person looking at a single person may focusing at a part of the body, but its a huge way away of being 50 yards away from something. A person looking at a single person will have a much greater chance of seeing the whole picture than a person looking at 150 people over 120 yards. Thats all I was saying.

If anything your logic is circular, because the idea of not being able to question a judge because they cant be everywhere at once is saying they are infallible because of their fallibility. 

ice skating judges can be at the othe end of the ice. rinks aren't that small.

i question judges all the time. i also question people who have things explained to them and continue to grasp at straws to prove they're right

5 hours ago, mfrontz said:

A green team, perhaps?

yeah i think that was it.