The Jim Jones leadership award (Drum Major)

Who do ya like?

I just caught Spirit of Atlanta's semis run and although I'd read about the sound issues they had mid show, I didn't realize how jarring it was and that it means large sections of what was essentially 'silent choreo.'

It was one of those 'heart in throat' moments where a show could fall apart in a second to the point a restart would be necessary.   I'd love to have a reverse camera of what that kid on the box did but even from the back, you could see him take charge and calm the corps and keep them going.  

That right there is a Jim Jones leadership award worthy moment to me.  

• Like 8

I don't know anything about how this ward is determined, but you have an excellent point to make here.

Last night, I heard counting almost immediately after the silence from the pit, and I briefly wondered if it was some kind of known issue - like a restraining order from the license holder or something. That seems far fetched. If the DM switched right away to a vocal cadence to keep things together, then yes, what poise and good leadership.

Nice idea.

https://www.dci.org/dci-hall-of-fame-overview

Other than chosen by a committee of HOF members there's not a stated criteria I could find there.

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Who do ya like?

I just caught Spirit of Atlanta's semis run and although I'd read about the sound issues they had mid show, I didn't realize how jarring it was and that it means large sections of what was essentially 'silent choreo.'

It was one of those 'heart in throat' moments where a show could fall apart in a second to the point a restart would be necessary.   I'd love to have a reverse camera of what that kid on the box did but even from the back, you could see him take charge and calm the corps and keep them going.  

Excellent point!   He's got my vote, if I had one that is

29 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I don't know anything about how this ward is determined, but you have an excellent point to make here.

Last night, I heard counting almost immediately after the silence from the pit, and I briefly wondered if it was some kind of known issue - like a restraining order from the license holder or something. That seems far fetched. If the DM switched right away to a vocal cadence to keep things together, then yes, what poise and good leadership.

Nice idea.

There is almost always MM's who count out loud or "dut" during transitions even if the crowd can't normally hear. They did an amazing job getting thru that section, surprisingly the guard work was still pretty clean, and the crowd cheered them on the entire time. 

Edited by CAtenhut

Agree!  

This has been my main concern with using amplification and electronic instruments.  The costs of a glitch / failure can be disastrous, especially during finals week, because the entire show is so reliant on this technology today.  No one should have to deal with that risk.  

Edited by Land_Surfer

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Who do ya like?

Both DM & members showed poise - I suspect the members knew the choreography count by count, & the DM kept the whole thing together. 

• Like 1

Just FYI for the young folks:  Drum Corps wouldn't be the activity it is today without Jim Jones (Troopers).  He along with Don Warren (Cavaliers) pretty much created DCI.

Glad there is an award to recognize him. 

• Like 5

On 8/12/2023 at 3:37 PM, KVG_DC said:

https://www.dci.org/dci-hall-of-fame-overview

Other than chosen by a committee of HOF members there's not a stated criteria I could find there.

So typically there is a multi stage process. The corps director nominates you with a letter of rec. You get an interview at San Antonio from Gene. He comes to a rehearsal to watch you conduct and lead, and then you get a judge tape at quarter finals. 

All of those criteria goes into the decision for the Jim Jones and the recipient. 

It was a fun process when I went through it

23 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

So typically there is a multi stage process. The corps director nominates you with a letter of rec. You get an interview at San Antonio from Gene. He comes to a rehearsal to watch you conduct and lead, and then you get a judge tape at quarter finals. 

All of those criteria goes into the decision for the Jim Jones and the recipient. 

It was a fun process when I went through it

Oh cool!  

I was just super impressed at how SOA's drum major got them through that crisis.   I forget which open class corps it was one year had a near disaster of a tear and the DM did a sweep wipe direction to get them all back on and there were a fair few of us who were "GIVE THAT GUY A MEDAL" because it was the sort of thing that often isn't fixable aside from a restart of the show.  

The SOA guy's cool head got them through the silence just fine.  

Sometimes heroes wear capes, sometimes they stand on podiums.  (And of course, sometimes they're doing both) 

• Like 1