Bluecoats 2024

3 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

so only march while playing whole and half notes, stand still while playing difficult sections of music, if you are moving while playing something more than whole and half notes, then make sure it is in half time, and if all else fails run somewhere in a random blob as opposed to holding any type of form during the movement.  Yeah no thanks,  I would rather watch my corps challenge it's members with multimetered music while moving and being completely innovative and unique, and still pulling it all off at as high a level as the corps that does have of what we are doing.

The thing is, I agree with you 100%. I HATE how BD approaches the visual design, yet they are rewarded for it, I believe they have won all but one visual proficiency award over the past 15 years. (I could be way off on that, but I know BD has won it a ton)

Bluecoats have BD matched on Brass, Percussion, GE and almost guard. Visual is the last thing I think Bloo is far away on, and that is a matter of philosophy, not quality. 

3 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

equal?  I thought it far surpassed it.

I am inclined to agree and I much prefer Bloo, but the judging community does not, hence my original irony. 

well, i am officially on the bloo24 waiting list. i already am getting a little anxious, auditions are always scary, but ive got a senior year high school band season to worry about first. 

i am beyond stokes to hear and see what bloo has in store for this season, and am ready to embrace it fully, wether that is on through a screen, or on the field.

until next season, dcp, thanks for sharing such an unforgettable season with me 🫡

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 1:02 PM, bluecoats88 said:

so only march while playing whole and half notes, stand still while playing difficult sections of music, if you are moving while playing something more than whole and half notes, then make sure it is in half time, and if all else fails run somewhere in a random blob as opposed to holding any type of form during the movement.  Yeah no thanks,  I would rather watch my corps challenge it's members with multimetered music while moving and being completely innovative and unique, and still pulling it all off at as high a level as the corps that does have of what we are doing.

I highly suggest you watch BD’s encore performance video uploaded to their YouTube channel to allow yourself to correct your grossly misinformed and incorrect assertions. Or don’t. DCP this season has taught me that it’s sometimes better to let people just be wrong

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

well, i am officially on the bloo24 waiting list. i already am getting a little anxious, auditions are always scary, but ive got a senior year high school band season to worry about first. 

i am beyond stokes to hear and see what bloo has in store for this season, and am ready to embrace it fully, wether that is on through a screen, or on the field.

until next season, dcp, thanks for sharing such an unforgettable season with me 🫡

Oh my god that's so exciting! Good Luck! I can finally brag that I knew a Bluecoat! (vaguely, on the internet but a Bluecoat nonetheless)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I highly suggest you watch BD’s encore performance video uploaded to their YouTube channel to allow yourself to correct your grossly misinformed and incorrect assertions. Or don’t. DCP this season has taught me that it’s sometimes better to let people just be wrong

saw it live,  know what I saw and heard.  they do perform the hell out of what they are given,  but random running (yes everyone runs some, but most do it in form), horn sections playing the hard part standing while the rest of the hornline moves playing simpler parts.  I've seen them do it all, and say it this year as well.  I loved when they were taking risks, doing things noone else was doing, most hated the absurdity and glass darkly shows, but I loved them cause they were doing new and exciting things.  now their shows bore me cause it's a lot of nothing.  take a risk, try something new, experiment with multi meters while moving.  something to excite the crowd other then two different color sleeves so you can hold one up then the other and wow what a cool color change.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

saw it live,  know what I saw and heard.  they do perform the hell out of what they are given,  but random running (yes everyone runs some, but most do it in form), horn sections playing the hard part standing while the rest of the hornline moves playing simpler parts.  I've seen them do it all, and say it this year as well.  I loved when they were taking risks, doing things noone else was doing, most hated the absurdity and glass darkly shows, but I loved them cause they were doing new and exciting things.  now their shows bore me cause it's a lot of nothing.  take a risk, try something new, experiment with multi meters while moving.  something to excite the crowd other then two different color sleeves so you can hold one up then the other and wow what a cool color change.

As a major Bluecoat fan, that's just not true.  Go watch them back-to-back. I just did.  I rarely love the Blue Devils, but they moved a lot.  BD was not as visually clean as I expected, and I feel like Bluecoats definitely have a significantly greater amount of choreography and dance responsibilities for their brass.  With that said, that's a really great Blue Devils show and they run to spots no more than anyone else at this point and play on the move.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

As a major Bluecoat fan, that's just not true.  Go watch them back-to-back. I just did.  I rarely love the Blue Devils, but they moved a lot.  BD was not as visually clean as I expected, and I feel like Bluecoats definitely have a significantly greater amount of choreography and dance responsibilities for their brass.  With that said, that's a really great Blue Devils show and they run to spots no more than anyone else at this point and play on the move.

The best word I heard about BDs movement was said by Rondo and Lindsay Vento and that is "strategic". Do they move a lot? Yes, and much much more than in previous years, but less than 10% of their movement is in form to form drill. They actually do not even write drill and everything is 100% staged. I guess the days of a 200 dot book are gone.

Some people love that they are shattering the drill paradigm, I for one hate it, and I hate even more that the judging community seems to love it. To me it is such a departure that it's like brass judges giving a group super high scores for playing only woodwind instruments, because that is an outside of the box element. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

The best word I heard about BDs movement was said by Rondo and Lindsay Vento and that is "strategic". Do they move a lot? Yes, and much much more than in previous years, but less than 10% of their movement is in form to form drill. They actually do not even write drill and everything is 100% staged. I guess the days of a 200 dot book are gone.

Some people love that they are shattering the drill paradigm, I for one hate it, and I hate even more that the judging community seems to love it. To me it is such a departure that it's like brass judges giving a group super high scores for playing only woodwind instruments, because that is an outside of the box element. 

Got it. No drill. I guess I just watched the wrong show then.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Got it. No drill. I guess I just watched the wrong show then.  

It is well documented that they don't use a drill writer and everything is taught on the field. If you really think about it the only 2 times in the show where there was more traditional drill was in the opener with the moving squares ending in the Maltese cross, and the very end with the Matisse star. Everything else was staging and FTL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1