Carolina Crown 2024

“Our previous design team  (now at Crown North) leaned heavily to the accessible side.”

K, the first time I heard you utter that expression at NB, I laughed my @ss off.

Still laughing…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Edited by MadisonBandMan1
Wrong thread

Any thoughts as to the direction the design team takes next year?

On 8/20/2023 at 12:09 PM, Grandpa Joe said:

First, we need to make sure that the staff keeps Rick grounded so he doesn't come out with a design out of left field that nobody can understand. That's the most important thing right now.

I would love to see crown do something like the music from the movie Gettysburg OR something with an Irish theme.  

2 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

I would love to see crown do something like the music from the movie Gettysburg OR something with an Irish theme.  

Irish Republican Army conflicts of the 60's to the 80's.  Show title The Troubles.  On a lighter theme, Riverdance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

I want to see a return to campy fun Crown, circa 2007 to 2011, but refined. We need more lighthearted and whimsical shows. Dark and drab is so 2010s. Lol.

See I was going to to the other way around. I want them to double down on the dark shows. Not like beast…or like inferno. I know that war shows are done quite a lot in this activity, but I’d really like to see this design team flesh out a really dark, heavy, and emotional show about war and the human condition. The music they could do coupled with their ensemble sound and amazing knack for *really* pulling the emotion out of music like that could turn into a really, REALLY powerful production. Yes I love campy crown but I really want them to nail a gut wrenching show that pulls at all of the heart strings. 

And I don’t want them to put on a gimmicky show about war, I want them to really dig deep into the depth of the human condition and the woes of war. The vast majority of war shows are very gimmicky and don’t take that deep of a dive into the sorrow, fear, and anger felt in such precarious times. 

To get an idea of what I mean by really conveying those emotions and understand the kind of direction I mean, check out this song released a little over a year ago by one of the best singers and storytellers on this planet: Dimash Qudaibergen. The song is entitled “The Story of One Sky” and is linked below. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

And I don’t want them to put on a gimmicky show about war, I want them to really dig deep into the depth of the human condition and the woes of war. The vast majority of war shows are very gimmicky and don’t take that deep of a dive into the sorrow, fear, and anger felt in such precarious times. 

Hell to the yes. There's something that just personally rubs me the wrong way about patriotic shows and shows about the modern-day military. Let's just say they...weird me out. Yes I know that's where drum corps' origins came from but it's definitely jarring compared to the creativity of other show themes. A dark, disturbing war show would be a breath of fresh air to an activity so closely related to the military in a way that it could maliciously be spun into straight up propaganda. Something like this could be the next show that completely changes the course of the activity like Tilt did. The only question is which corps is going to be brave enough to do it.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1