Carolina Crown 2024

2 hours ago, karuna said:

A Beethoven show and a Ligeti show would be "cookie cutter"  shows? :confused:

Staying away from the previous design teams work is pretty standard in drum corps and many other artistic endeavors.   Easter eggs is not the same as duplication.  

Again -- it seems to me you want the old Crown with the old shows.  I'm an unabashed fan of those shows.   But expecting them to return is IMHO sheer fantasy.  They were a product of designers who no longer work there and produced at a point in Crown's history that has long since passed.  

Finally let me remind you that all of this talk of (dark | opera | classical) is just DCP speculation and none of it has been put forward by the corps or the designers.   So who knows,  maybe Crown will do a Broadway show or Rock show or Muppets show next season.  Or maybe a show about a dolphin?  

I forgot, you are the only one that is allowed to be right in the Crown thread. My bad. I'll try to remember next time.

On 9/5/2023 at 9:16 PM, Grandpa Joe said:

I also think it's limiting themselves to becoming a one trick pony by sticking to classical or opera or dark. Look at Phantom. 

This I can agree with and it's been discussed in every PR thread for several years. 

The best news for Crown is that they're now pretty #### consistent across all captions. That's how BD and Bloo have done it. Once you have that nut cracked, it's far easier to expand your shows because of the influx of talent, new and returning, that you would expect to get year over year. 

I'm not a die hard Crown fan. But they're just so freakin' good at bringing consistent quality to the field. I appreciate the staff, members and volunteers that bring us these shows every year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

This I can agree with and it's been discussed in every PR thread for several years. 

It was controversial at first but look at how well received Phantom were this season. Definitely a step in the right direction. I can't see limiting the creativity by wanting to stick to a certain style, or genre.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How much do you think the talent pool for guard and percussion are going to skyrocket for this upcoming season?

On 9/16/2023 at 11:20 PM, MadisonBandMan1 said:

How much do you think the talent pool for guard and percussion are going to skyrocket for this upcoming season?

Guard talent has actually been very high for a number of years.   IMHO the big change in the past season was on the staff side (Tyler E).  CrownGuard's strong showing this past year should keep that talent rolling in.  

It will be interesting to see how much Broken City talent migrates to Crown in '24.  Many of the BC vets had already committed to other lines last year but now many more of them have the opportunity to follow their staff to Fort Mill !  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

I thought he had been there for several years (post-2019)?

2023 was his 3rd year if I’m recalling correctly . There was a revolving door in the guard caption for too many years as crown tried to find the right person to run the caption.   Finding and staying with Tyler is what IMHO showed up on the field this year.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, karuna said:

2023 was his 3rd year if I’m recalling correctly . There was a revolving door in the guard caption for too many years as crown tried to find the right person to run the caption.   Finding and staying with Tyler is what IMHO showed up on the field this year.  

Joey and Erin (also from the "Haus of Paramount", along with Tyler and Rick). 

Crown's choreo this past season put them on a level similar to BACCG. Skill after skill after skill, masterfully executed. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 11:20 PM, MadisonBandMan1 said:

I don’t know how either group could have their talent “skyrocket” if I’m being honest. At least on the percussion side, yes it was an ENTIRELY rookie line to Crown this year but the talent level was incredible. I think it was 3-4 age outs in the line but from talking to some of the guys finals week, everyone had every intention of coming back. BK had a very good retention rate on their line during the Jackson years as well (some of those guys are on the staff now) and Broken City also keeps members coming back so these guys definitely know what they’re doing. I know a few of the snares made the Broken City line (not surprisingly) and I’m sure the others are marching other world lines that aren’t on the other side of the country and more around them (assuming they do WGI this year).

Will more people come out to audition for the percussion? Probably. But there are so many great groups out there and all are actually very different so it just depends on what the kids are looking for really. The talent level across the board is crazy in percussion now and there isn’t really a top 12 group with any members that aren’t really good. I’ve said it many times the last couple years but it’s a great time to be a percussion fan in DCI (and WGI)

TL:DR…Crown’s percussion is in a great spot

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been away since Finals, but did anyone post that Crown is having a West Coast Percussion Audition on Oct 22? This was posted on FB but I can't share the link and having issues sharing a screenshot.

• Like 1