The Staff Merry-go-round

25 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

At some point someone’s gonna retire lol

They have definitely had people retire over the years. Wayne Downey retired from BD A after the 2014 season. John Meehan left before this season started to take a new gig with Calgary Stampede Showband. They brought in a new executive director maybe 2 or 3 years ago, maybe less. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

They have definitely had people retire over the years. Wayne Downey retired from BD A after the 2014 season. John Meehan left before this season started to take a new gig with Calgary Stampede Showband. They brought in a new executive director maybe 2 or 3 years ago, maybe less. 

Well oiled machine. Retiring plans > firing plans

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

John Meehan left before this season started to take a new gig with Calgary Stampede Showband. 

You're going to have to explain this one more. Namely, why?!?

Also, does his role with that group indeed mean that he's no longer arranging for BD?

1 minute ago, kdaddy said:

You're going to have to explain this one more. Namely, why?!?

Also, does his role with that group indeed mean that he's no longer arranging for BD?

Meehan's name was listed as helping with music for this summer. If I read the release correctly it was sometime in the spring that he got the job. Dave Glyde writes most of BD's brass book and he composes a lot of the transitions from tune to tune. John was doing some arranging but not all of it after Wayne retired. In terms of JM taking the Calgary job I bet it's a pretty good gig and you live in a beautiful region of Canada. More affordable living too vs California. But as for why he left I have no clue. Those are personal decisions and he's been with BD for a long time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think I may have read it in one of the Facebook groups I’m in, but it seems that the successor has already been chosen and DCI should, apparently, be in good hands. That’s just vague rumors though 

A successor for Dan has NOT been chosen yet. The search continues...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

I heard in Indianapolis that a successor was selected but he/she turned down the offer. Not sure if there is a fallback candidate or if the search continues. I assume DA steers the ship until someone is hired.

This is correct. DA is done by end of calendar year. Period.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It's still too early to make that kind of pronouncement.  

They’re also super behind the ball on recruitment and getting audition camps set up. Plus as far as it is known, they’re still in non compliance with the state of CA as a non profit which prevents them from soliciting donations. Trust me, it’s highly unlikely they’re fielding next year