The Staff Merry-go-round

3 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

An image of a judging panel from finals week that did not reflect the demographics of the participants, and expressed concern. 

Yet this season has had the most diverse judging panels as a whole than any other season. They made progress when it comes to judges as far as different demographics go and they continue to make strides to do so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Yet this season has had the most diverse judging panels as a whole than any other season. They made progress when it comes to judges as far as different demographics go and they continue to make strides to do so.

Right. And the point I think PLA was trying to make is that there's still a long way to go. Unfortunately, it was done in a manner that made the BK leadership uncomfortable.

Within the last year or so a guard judge posted an image of a panel she was on, I think noting that it was the first all female panel she had served on in decades of adjudicating. Wild to think that an activity where you might have a single male performer in a high school unit is so heavily slanted towards males on the judging side of things.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

Right. And the point I think PLA was trying to make is that there's still a long way to go. Unfortunately, it was done in a manner that made the BK leadership uncomfortable.

So is it indeed confirmed that BK made a change because of the post?

While folks in that position need to be mindful of how their social media presence is perceived, if BK made a change for that reason, that's absurd. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

While folks in that position need to be mindful of how their social media presence is perceived, if BK made a change for that reason, that's absurd. 

Reading the original post before it was taken down and the three subsequent posts, I don't think you can interpret it as anything other than they have parted ways.

24 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

Reading the original post before it was taken down and the three subsequent posts, I don't think you can interpret it as anything other than they have parted ways.

Yes and the latest is they posted a screenshot that PLA blocked Blue Knights.

I agree with their strategy (PLA) of more inclusiveness, not their tactics. 

You can either be a part of the conversation, or you can finger-point and trash-talk, but it's hard to do both at the same time. Hopefully all directly involved can learn.

Edited by NewToPosting
Added specificity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Why would that be absurd? 

• Like 1

Just now, Grandpa Joe said:

He does it to himself and then wants to throw himself a pity party on social media. 

giphy.gif

I agree with him, to a degree, but his tactics are horribly wrong.

I largely agree with PLA, and have strong opinions on the activity as well. But on the rare occasion an organization is fool enough to bring me aboard, I recognize that everything I say/do can be considered a representation of my employer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Have to agree with BK. Bad Optics.You cannot post a judging panel and suggest dci as racist. PLA is more than welcome to post but has to suffer the repercussions from the organization that has been employed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, contraguard05 said:

I largely agree with PLA, and have strong opinions on the activity as well. But on the rare occasion an organization is fool enough to bring me aboard, I recognize that everything I say/do can be considered a representation of my employer.

Completely agree. Change doesn't come from being silent, but it also doesn't come from a poor choice of words on social media. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2