The Staff Merry-go-round

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

Absent any relevant posts to the topic, I will put forth a few positions that SHOULD change (in my opinion)......hopefully to generate conversation not Julie Davila or SCV related

1. Boston Crusaders need a true top 3 brass arranger. Will Michael Klesch follow Tom Hannum to Boston?

2. Phantom needs a better guard design team

3. Cadets, if they want to break into the top 4, need a better visual designer

4. Troopers - Entire guard design and teaching staff, hopefully one that brings talented members.

5. Cavaliers need to swap out brass staff and visual design. No need for explanation

6. Blue Knights have obvious needs at the top of the design team.

7. Crossmen need a better brass staff and new visual designer

8. Madison? a total reboot with a design team that can create a cohesive and contemporary program.

9. Academy -  see above.

10. Genesis -  see above, above.

Uh tell me you didn't watch Genesis without telling me you didn't watch Genesis. That show was cohesive all the way through. 

• Like 4

Absent any relevant posts to the topic, I will put forth a few positions that SHOULD change (in my opinion)......hopefully to generate conversation not Julie Davila or SCV related

1. Boston Crusaders need a true top 3 brass arranger. Will Michael Klesch follow Tom Hannum to Boston?

4. Troopers - Entire guard design and teaching staff, hopefully one that brings talented members.

5. Cavaliers need to swap out brass staff and visual design. No need for explanation

8. Madison? a total reboot with a design team that can create a cohesive and contemporary program.

9. Academy -  see above.

1. No. 

2. Phantom’s guard team is outstanding. 

3. No 

4. Yes. 

5. Brass team is fine. Visual design needs a update. 

6. Yes

7. Yes 

8. Yes 

9. No

10. No

9. Academy -  see above.

I can absolutely agree with a lot of this. 

2. I think also needs to include a harder percussion book. Their book was too easy compared to those around them. 

9. Can we just go back to silly whimsy shows. Thats why a lot of us fell in love with the corps and doing more serious stuff lost its appeal and part of the identity

3 hours ago, Algernon said:

Will Michael Klesch follow Tom Hannum to Boston?

I thought I had heard before the 2023 season began that Michael K. was retiring writing for Drum Corps altogether after 2023 season .  But that was eons ago, so maybe others here might have updated info if that has changed or not

15 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

I thought I had heard before the 2023 season began that Michael K. was retiring writing for Drum Corps altogether after 2023 season .  But that was eons ago, so maybe others here might have updated info if that has changed or not

I believe that was a rumor started when the other rumor that he didn't do the arranging for the 2023 show started. A lot of rumors when Crown brought on new people in 2023.

1 hour ago, jameseuph said:

1. No. 

2. Phantom’s guard team is outstanding. 

3. No 

4. Yes. 

5. Brass team is fine. Visual design needs a update. 

6. Yes

7. Yes 

8. Yes 

9. No

10. No

8th in brass is fine? 1.2 behind the top 4 in brass is fine? I don't think that's fine.

13 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Broadening this topic a bit on " judges " backgrounds ( off topic, and not related to " Staff Merry Go Round in the least ),  I think it would be beneficial for DCI to provide the public with the venue where any fan could find the list of its judges and their bios/ experiences/ education/ training. For ALL the judges. Those who have judged since 1972, those judging as new judges, and everybody in between in terms of years they have judged. Full transparency. Personally, I dont have a bone to pick with any of them. I trust they're trained properly and have the requisite skills. That said, I would like to know more about each of them. I believe most fans would as well, including those new to the activity. I'd like that info to be available in a central setting too... easy to find. Perhaps on that same site, could be an explanation given to both new and veteran fans alike as to how competitions are judged and scored, and an explanation of the various captions and the point breakdowns. Such info IS available, but not really all that easy to find, imo. Put such info along with the current judges, and allow fans and marchers alike to be further educated on this activity we all love so well. afterall, knowledge and education is a good thing... not a bad thing.

WGI lists their judges and has bios. But scoring/judging in the WGI world appears less emotionally charged from the fans in comparison to DCI, BOA, Marching band in general. 

I do agree there should be more resources available about the judging process in general. I think that would be helpful. But unfortunately bios of judges to just add ammo to crazies out there I think would be dangerous. We all want to tout the importance of member safety, that has to go for the judges as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

WGI lists their judges and has bios. But scoring/judging in the WGI world appears less emotionally charged from the fans in comparison to DCI, BOA, Marching band in general. 

I do agree there should be more resources available about the judging process in general. I think that would be helpful. But unfortunately bios of judges to just add ammo to crazies out there I think would be dangerous. We all want to tout the importance of member safety, that has to go for the judges as well.

Yes, I have noticed that WGI provides the bios of their judges.  DCI should do the same.  There is cross over now anyway.. Some Judges increasingly do both... some do WGI/ DCI/ BOA as well.  While we sometimes hear we have " crazies " and " dangerous " people out there, we also have a problem with " dangerous " people in staffs too of late we are attempting to clean up on too re. " member safety".  On the whole, the DCI fan base is far far more civil and less unruly, or a threat to judges than just about any high school or college sport out there, imo. If we prosecute to the fullest extent of the law any " crazies " that might unduly threaten or harrass a DCI judge, we should be able to publish the bios of the judges on the DCI website without problems, imo. DCI could even keep their private info off the bios, and just list their experience/ education in their field. I just dont see it would become the problem that a few here apparently think it would.

Edited by Boss Anova

19 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Every circuit I've ever been to for marching band and winterguard has provided the bios for judges. What makes DCI the exception? Further proof that DCI needs to be more transparent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Yes, I have noticed that WGI provides the bios of their judges.  DCI should do the same.  There is cross over now anyway.. Some Judges increasingly do both... some do WGI/ DCI/ BOA as well.  While we sometimes hear we have " crazies " and " dangerous " people out there, we also have a problem with " dangerous " people in staffs too of late we are attempting to clean up on too re. " member safety".  On the whole, the DCI fan base is far far more civil and less unruly, or a threat to judges than just about any high school or college sport out there, imo. If we prosecute to the fullest extent of the law any " crazies " that might unduly threaten or harrass a DCI judge, we should be able to publish the bios of the judges on the DCI website without problems, imo. DCI could even keep their private info off the bios, and just list their experience/ education in their field. I just dont see it would become the problem that a few here apparently think it would.

Just now, Grandpa Joe said:

Every circuit I've ever been to for marching band and winterguard has provided the bios for judges. What makes DCI the exception? Further proof that DCI needs to be more transparent.

I'll agree to disagree on the overall safety issue here. 

But we pretty much have access to anyone's educational background that judges already. Simple google searches pulls that up for any judge you look at. I think claiming DCI isn't transparent about the "educational background" of the adjudicators is an excuse for not liking the way shows are scored. 

It would be far greater of a benefit for resources on the adjudication process and philosophy to be put out there over a judge's educational background. 

• Like 2