The Staff Merry-go-round

5 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

I know for a fact Crown was holding "everydays" at Belmont Abby College in 1991 (their second competitive year). They may have been there the year before, as well. 

I think drum corps have been holding spring training/pre-tour/everydays at college campuses for decades (well before the 2000s)

In 1990, Crown held our everyday rehearsals at the Charlotte Parks and Rec Annex off Independence Blvd., across from the old Memorial Stadium, where NightBeat originated. We used a locked storage unit at the annex for instruments and equipment. Thankfully, we were able to move to the on-campus setting at Belmont Abbey College starting in 1991. The Annex was truly awful but it served its purpose, I guess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GBugler said:

In 1990, Crown held our everyday rehearsals at the Charlotte Parks and Rec Annex off Independence Blvd., across from the old Memorial Stadium, where NightBeat originated. We used a locked storage unit at the annex for instruments and equipment. Thankfully, we were able to move to the on-campus setting at Belmont Abbey College starting in 1991. The Annex was truly awful but it served its purpose, I guess.

Thanks for that history, loved watching Night Beat at that stadium. Seeing all the Corps finding their cubbies to warm up in was so flavorful to me. 

15 hours ago, TheDoctoress said:

All Colts designers and caption heads are returning. I wonder if they’ll continue to move up with that consistency. 

it's possible, especially if they continue to draw talent

39 minutes ago, musicteacher said:

I'd bet four years in a row with the same designer and caption head team is a first for them, at least in a long time. Like others, they seem to have learned the lesson BD has taught -- stability is necessary for sustained success. 

Agree that stability is key.  And this is why I think the New, Transparent SCV, with their self-inflicted and ongoing instability, may have competitive challenges in 2024.  IMHO they are by no means a lock for finals. 

I agree on the stability front.  Accordingly, 2024 will be the 8th year for the design team/caption heads at BAC.  And yes, I do count 2020, because even though the DCI season didn't happen, Boston's staff met virtually throughout the year and produced several different ZOOM productions to keep the members engaged. And yes, no argument from me in terms of the Blue Devils being the Gold Standard for staff stability. 

• Like 2