Blue Devils 2024 right before the storm

• 2 months later...

just checking in with the BD honks to bump this thread up and maybe knock one of those depressing threads off the front page!  And I can’t seem to turn off the itlaics here…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWW11 said:

just checking in with the BD honks to bump this thread up and maybe knock one of those depressing threads off the front page!  And I can’t seem to turn off the itlaics here…

Italics are fun and happy. Makes you look like you're singing. 

How jaded with drum corps lately I've become. I saw the thread bumped and though oh no, what happened at BD. Glad all is quiet and well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/31/2023 at 5:26 PM, Triple Forte said:

Why don’t they do a  history of jazz ? Feature styles of jazz from Louisiana, Missouri, New York ,  Chicago etc…  

Because "variety" is one of many markers towards achieving a decent G. E. music score, and although jazz is BDs hallmark, they always work in a wide range of styles,moods, and textures into their musical programming. I feel like trying to cram various jazz styles into the show as to adhere to a thematic concept would actually limit their ability to present the same scope of contrasting sounds that they are usually able to achieve. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Spinastick said:

Because "variety" is one of many markers towards achieving a decent G. E. music score, and although jazz is BDs hallmark, they always work in a wide range of styles,moods, and textures into their musical programming. I feel like trying to cram various jazz styles into the show as to adhere to a thematic concept would actually limit their ability to present the same scope of contrasting sounds that they are usually able to achieve. 

Well, to be honest, the type of show I suggested would probably make for a unique Jazz show with nice variety and would give BD a vehicle  to re-engage with the genre wholeheartedly.   Kind of for old time sake’s .  I honestly don’t consider jazz to be a hallmark of Bd anymore and actually hasn’t been for many years imo.  It would be very refreshing to see them take on one genre and bring it to the absolute max instead of presenting music from a zillion genres in one show.  

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Well, to be honest, the type of show I suggested would probably make for a unique Jazz show with nice variety and would give BD a vehicle  to re-engage with the genre wholeheartedly.   Kind of for old time sake’s .  I honestly don’t consider jazz to be a hallmark of Bd anymore and actually hasn’t been for many years imo.  It would be very refreshing to see them take on one genre and bring it to the absolute max instead of presenting music from a zillion genres in one show.  

Or they could do both things at once.  Do a “jazz” show with reinterpretations of standards in different formats.  Think “Take 5” reimagined as a slow ballad, or a fast dance number?  

• Like 2

It's been 30 years since 1994 Blue Devils My Spanish Heart show and I always thought a new version would be cool. 1994 was a kinda re-birth of the Blue Devils with a new sleek look and new captions heads that are still on the staff. 

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...