DCI Stock Market 2024

I am bullish on most corps from a show/performance perspective. I am not going to get into staff, design team, money, management or any of that stuff. I really enjoyed almost all the shows this year. There are always little things that I didn't care for but that is common with most shows. 

1. Blue Devils - Stock is always up (buy more if you can). Great show. Fun music. Easy to watch and enjoy. Great performance of course. The Blue Devils do the very thing that I think is most difficult to do in DCI...and that is to be consistent. 
  2. Bluecoats - Stock is always up (buy more if you can). Bloo does Bloo well. They take risks but they also have fun and get the crowd engaged. Personally did not care for the concept of the show but the beauty of that was I didn't need to care about the concept. The show still worked from an entertainment perspective. Staging, choreography, body, and drill continue to be top notch. Music book was fun and rhythmic. 
  3. Carolina Crown - Stock up (may buy more).  Loved the show. May be my favorite show of the summer. Did not start that way but it ended up that way. I did get to see them live in Pittsburgh and that helped. They were a tour-de-force live. Brass and percussion were great. Guard was fantastic. More shows like this for the future and I will be very happy. 
  4. Boston Crusaders - Stock Hold (It's good stock, just not sure if I am buying more). I fully expect Boston to be top 4 again. I expect they will have incredible performance captions just as they did this year. Looking forward to seeing what the theme/concept is. If the goal is to win then they are close but have not yet put together the total package. If it was so easy everyone would do it. Boston knows that what they are trying to do is extremely difficult. Regardless, top 4 is amazing and I still enjoyed the show and loved their performances. 
  5. The Cadets - Stock Up (BUT Hold and buy with caution). The 2023 show was fantastic! Brass, percussion and guard were rock solid to specacular at times. Do we apply an asterisk to their 5th place ranking? No! They earned it. Do we consider a possible return of Santa Clara? Yes. As far as what Cadets are doing with the members and staff their season was absolutely STOCK UP! When trying to predict rankings and scores for next season I think the Stock is a hold, wait and analyze. Once a corps moves into the 5th or 6th position it is more difficult to push into that next level.  Trying to take on Boston, Crown, Bluecoats and BD is a difficult next step. Who ya gonna kick out? There is the prospect of a strong SCV returning. 
  6. Mandarins - Stock Up (BUT Hold and buy with caution). Everything I said about Cadets is true here too. Fantastic corps this summer. Loved the show. GE was incredible. Great visual program overall. Moving up for next year? All the same things apply. Who ya gonna take out? Can you recruit the talent for top 5 or higher? Does the design team have it in them? And if they do, is it better than what the others have? The next steps for Cadets and Mandarins (and PR, Cavies) are the most difficult steps to take. The competition at the next level is serious, real, and those corps are not going anywhere. 

More later. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, MedicineMan said:

Buying:

2.  Crossmen and Madison ; everyone seems to be losing faith in these 2 organizations.  They have both been around for a long time and have weathered so many storms in the past. Madison is still legendary to so so many DCI fans and is a member of that very small elite group of corps who has won a DCI title ( 2).  And the Crossmen have the distinction of marching in the most DCI finals for a corps that HAS NOT WON A DCI CHAMPIONSHIP ( 29 ).  So I will buy the stock from everyone who is selling.  I think that both of their values are only going to go up.

I think its because there is nothing that is generating positive news.  When you dont hit your EPS or have a negative it tanks.  If they can come out with some big news youll see people buy.  There hasn't been a  post covid consistency to hold or buy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tamborista Viejo said:

Buying:

• Pacific Crest - I'm liking the energy that's building
  • Boston Crusaders - Made me a new believer
  • more Troopers  - They will resolve the Color Guard issues which held them back this year

Holding:

• Blue Knights - my local team
  • The Cavaliers - Always loved Green Machine's drum line and always will
  • Mandarins - Looking to medal next year
  • Blue Devils - my second love
  • Vanguard - my first love (I grew up as a Silicon Valley kid)

Selling: The Academy, Madison Scouts, Crossmen

You need to diversify your portfolio to include  PR. You might be missing out on a big bump in your investments.

BD is really more of a long-term bond at this point--yeah, you'll get a steady return, but there's not a lot of room for growth.  A good option to stablize your portfolio just in case.

Bluecoats--Not sure about buying more stock, but am interested in getting high and rewatching their show (and the Blue Stars').

Troopers--like the Troopers, go big or go home.

Mandarins--see above. They just keep swinging for the fences.

Phantom--their show clicked with the audience in a big way, but didn't seem to quite click with the judges.  If they can adjustwell, they could have a breakout next year.

Cadets--As retreat showed, those traditional unis are still a big draw.

I would put all my money into Boston stock without a hesitation. 

Ups, downs, and all arounds I believe in the corps. 
Though if y'all know me that wouldn't be a surprise to hear from me. 

Troop is another corps that I would buy stock in. I think they're going to be on the rise. 

I worry about BK staying in finals so this would be a sell for me. 

I'm buying Cavaliers stock because I liked their hats.

• Like 1