Great comeback year for drum corps!!

21 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Agreed.. We might've lost SCV and SCVC, 1 or 2 others, but it is pretty remarkable that the vast majority of Corps were able to make it thru the pandemic despite such unexpected and unprecedented disruptions.  Kudos to every single one of them.

And a couple or a few, still came to Indy with their limited finances and showed that a very good program CAN be put together and be competitive and still have a future.  

• Like 3

I was more than impressed with 2023. The shows were amazing and I thought overall that everything ran smoothly at LOS. While this has little impact on the shows themselves, it has a huge impact on the overall experience. I’m glad to say I was wrong about a return to competition for Seattle Cascades and Spirit of Atlanta. Re-emerging after time away is not the norm for drum corps. I did talk with some folks from Spirit and it was touch and go as to whether there would be a 2023 season and I know it was work for Cascades which makes both returning all the more remarkable.

I thought that of the 19 WC corps that competed in 2023 that also competed in 2022, regardless of placement, 18 had shows that were as good or better, one had challenges with recruitment though I’m not sure the challenges were pandemic related. In OC, I know rebounding is still an issue for some corps. A person I spoke with associated with one OC corps claims rebounding from the pandemic has been more difficult than when the corps started from scratch. I also heard that some OC corps are expressing concerns about recruitment in the next year or two. Music programs took a major hit during remote learning, and many schools did not have band or chorus for a at least a year, in some cases two years. Some kids when given the opportunity chose not to take music lessons, others are a bit behind. These are the young people who might begin looking at OC experiences. This could hurt the pool for potential recruits. My thought is the corps will meet the challenges, but it has not been easy.

This is where I see a niche for some Open Class corps to position themselves as, "Didn't get a chance to do band?  Band program ended?  March with us."  And be the place where they learn music education rather than simply siphoning off scholastic programs for their own competitive success.

Yep, this was my favorite year in who knows how long. Great shows top to bottom.

• Like 2