Phantom Regiment 2024

Just downloaded marchingmusicdowloads copy of last year’s shows. I’m always kinda bummed at the newer recordings, pretty much since Flo got involved. The audio doesn’t do a good job recreating the thick, round sound and lower bass, like from the concert bass, bass line and electronics. You can barely hear the crowd even when the corps stop playing. The recordings feel like an afterthought and fall flat in my opinion. I have a rather high end audio system that normally blows you out of the room, but not when playing DCI recordings these days. 

• Like 1

FLO doesn’t produce the audio…it’s still Tom Blair and crew doing the high end video and audio for finals week.  FLO just uses that audio and video feed for their stream. Tom is retired now, so we’ll see how things go this year…

45 minutes ago, leed17 said:

FLO doesn’t produce the audio…it’s still Tom Blair and crew doing the high end video and audio for finals week.  FLO just uses that audio and video feed for their stream. Tom is retired now, so we’ll see how things go this year…

🤔
I nominate rcawth for the job!

Edited by Sutasaurus

Just to clarify…I love Toms work and will miss him.  I think DCI will miss him. I just hope the ones from his crew who are staying on keep up the tradition of producing a quality finals week for the broadcasts, audio and video, etc. 

I purchased the bundle download again this year and love the sound of the AIFF files on my system at home and in the car. I do recall Phantom being extra loud this year when I saw them live, so maybe the audio doesn’t reproduce that power that they had this past summer. I still love the recordings though. 🙂 

• Like 1

To be honest, the REAL low bass sound (not enhanced) has been missing ever since the move to Bb. I don't know if it's a byproduct of the move or arrangers simply don't arrange in a way that produces the low bass sound.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rocketman said:

To be honest, the REAL low bass sound (not enhanced) has been missing ever since the move to Bb. I don't know if it's a byproduct of the move or arrangers simply don't arrange in a way that produces the low bass sound.

But mellophones take up the slack with JD Shaw arrangements...

I think this season tour schedule looks good for a late season surge. In 22 we did ATL then did Huntington WV that Monday then we had 3 or 4 days in Newark Ohio where it was not 100 degreesand a lot was accomplished improving the show before Allentown (we added the Chevron for one thing).  For the rest of the season scores went up and we moved up a few spots from Atlanta until Finals.   Last year 2023 we did ATL, then Huntington on that Mon (Which I thought was the best show of the season, though I may be biased since most of the time I saw it from the 10 or 20 yard line and that day the sponsor invited me up to where the judges were on the 50) . Then we went to a spot in PA which was a good practice  for 1 day then we went up to Boston. There was an incident with one of the staff busses (no injuries) but it seemed to get everything out of sync. One good thing was that a lot of the members had time after PR performed and were able to come back and watch Boston do their home show which I think is a neat thing. However the show did not improve as much as our competitors shows improved from Huntington until finals. Some people say the show didn't have room to grow after ATL but I am sure the lost practice times going up to Boston did not help the scores.

Anyway for 23 after ATL the Huntington show is on a Wens and that gives PR 3 or 4 days to beef up their show where it will be cooler (not in Texas) with fresh mountain air before Huntington Then going to Allentown I think we will have a pretty nice practice facility there. Hopefully they will not be plagued with rain that last week and the Corps will be at its absolute best going into finals. 

I have a lot of faith in the design team and I think that they will be doing great things with the show design and continue PRs climb aback to the top echelon of DCI

• Like 2

7 hours ago, totaleefree said:

I think this season tour schedule looks good for a late season surge. In 22 we did ATL then did Huntington WV that Monday then we had 3 or 4 days in Newark Ohio where it was not 100 degreesand a lot was accomplished improving the show before Allentown (we added the Chevron for one thing).  For the rest of the season scores went up and we moved up a few spots from Atlanta until Finals.   Last year 2023 we did ATL, then Huntington on that Mon (Which I thought was the best show of the season, though I may be biased since most of the time I saw it from the 10 or 20 yard line and that day the sponsor invited me up to where the judges were on the 50) . Then we went to a spot in PA which was a good practice  for 1 day then we went up to Boston. There was an incident with one of the staff busses (no injuries) but it seemed to get everything out of sync. One good thing was that a lot of the members had time after PR performed and were able to come back and watch Boston do their home show which I think is a neat thing. However the show did not improve as much as our competitors shows improved from Huntington until finals. Some people say the show didn't have room to grow after ATL but I am sure the lost practice times going up to Boston did not help the scores.

Anyway for 23 after ATL the Huntington show is on a Wens and that gives PR 3 or 4 days to beef up their show where it will be cooler (not in Texas) with fresh mountain air before Huntington Then going to Allentown I think we will have a pretty nice practice facility there. Hopefully they will not be plagued with rain that last week and the Corps will be at its absolute best going into finals. 

I have a lot of faith in the design team and I think that they will be doing great things with the show design and continue PRs climb aback to the top echelon of DCI

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing 

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 11:27 PM, PRomoter said:

Just downloaded marchingmusicdowloads copy of last year’s shows. I’m always kinda bummed at the newer recordings, pretty much since Flo got involved. The audio doesn’t do a good job recreating the thick, round sound and lower bass, like from the concert bass, bass line and electronics. You can barely hear the crowd even when the corps stop playing. The recordings feel like an afterthought and fall flat in my opinion. I have a rather high end audio system that normally blows you out of the room, but not when playing DCI recordings these days. 

I still say missing the crowd reactions during the show is a big letdown. I have gone back and spiced up the bass on all the recordings and they sound much better now. Used to be able to hear the crowd screaming all through the music when there was something particularly cool done on the field. 

• Like 1

talked to a friend today who still kinda follows drum corps, but isn' up on everything. he asked about Phantom and asked "if they are killing anyone this year"

• Haha 2