Phantom Regiment 2024

As the Regiment has been making great strides the last 2 years with music and show design, where do they go next? Thoughts?

Perhaps more music by Stephen Melillo. Maybe something from Stormworks?

2 hours ago, regimentlvr said:

Anyone know how long JD is here for? I have a hard time imagining life without him at this point. 

I am also looking forward to building on to the progress the guard made this year and hoping to see the unit evolve to a higher level performer. 

As well as the percussion! They were showing some great progress during the whole season.

Vet retention will play a big role in the success of PR 2024.

• Like 2

Hello, making my obligatory first post in this thread.

As for 2024, unknown right now as to whether I will drive again or not but I can say that the corps was supported in 2023 by some of the best ###### drivers that I've worked with in some time. I hope that everyone who was involved in 2023 returns in 2024 and they build further on the foundation that has been strengthened over the past few years.

As for me, I will still love them as I have for many years even though I am becoming an even more rounded drum corps fan.

• Like 7

On 8/14/2023 at 12:14 PM, Kopeck said:

Perhaps more music by Stephen Melillo. Maybe something from Stormworks?

Everything Melillo writes is technically Stormworks because that’s what he calls his catalogue.  But yes the actual suite is kind of cool from what I remember of it and it’s not like JD Shaw is against programming Melillo.  He totally hasn’t done it like four times in the past 7 years.  I’d like to see In a Cause Called Glorious or Under Cover of Darkness and… done by him mostly because I’ve already arranged these myself and I want to see how similar I can get it.

• Like 1

If they want to keep exploring Muse, there’s a ton of good tunes out there.  New Born, Mercy, Resistance, Butterflies and Hurricanes, Neutron Star Collision, Knights of Cydonia, Ruled by Secrecy.

As to concepts, I am about to start arranging this myself, but As Dreams Are Made On.  It may sound familiar because BD did it in 2016, but theirs was an exploration of Shakespeare’s The Tempest.  Mine is just exploring different angles of this excerpt:

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, 

As I foretold you, were all spirits and 

Are melted into air, into thin air: 

And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, 

The cloud-capp’d towers, the gorgeous palaces, 

The solemn temples, the great globe itself, 

Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve 

And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, 

Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff 

As dreams are made on, and our little life 

Is rounded with a sleep.

So first, the rep:

Are You Actively Eating That Candy Bar, I Am Batman, I’ve Got You, Call Me - Benjamin Wallfisch

Clair de Lune - Claude Debussy

Photograph - Cody Fry

Away With Your Fairies(Humanity Version), Red - Thomas Bergersen

The first movement would introduce to us the vastness of humanity and our development(thus the use of the energetic Wallfisch tunes).  However, there’s some underlying melancholy because the story that the tunes are taken from(The Flash movie) doesn’t exactly end well for certain bat and s themed characters.

we would then explore the realization that, to paraphrase the text, we are nothing but momentary specks in a massive universe(multiverse if you want to keep going into the parallels of The Flash), and ultimately we are as inconsequential as dreams and dust.  Photograph and it’s lyrics really embody this despair as the singer is afraid to forget moments that have passed.

To close, we would look on a happier meaning of the text, which is that despite us being temporary and disappearing into thin air, we still achieve greatness and can still affect the world around us in our short time here.  Bergersen’s tunes bring an infectious energy and joy that fits this reading.  Dreams are after all what keeps the world turning, so maybe it’s a good thing to be what dreams are made on.

Oh, this got really long.  Sorry about that.  Fresh ideas do that to me.  Hope it turns out okay for me!

• Like 1

Phantom hasn't killed off anyone in a while, I think it's time for the comeback. Boston has been outdoing them in this department for a few years

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Any hot takes on placement for 2024? LOL JK

have to get in my obligatory first post. Still riding the COVID bus. I predict next year I will also take vacation to go to Indy, get great seats for semis and finals and come down with hot dog fingers and Euromycitisis. Taking one for the team. 

• Haha 2