Postseason Blues

2 hours ago, craiga said:

For me,  it is a gentle letdown because I am deep in the weeds of drill design right now.   My band camp begins this coming Monday, and it is my 45th year of doing this.   Back in the 70s and 80s, it was done on essentially glorified graph paper.   About 25 years ago, PYWARE was developed, and now we also use an app called UDB to actually teach the show.  No more dot books!  😀

Ha. I remember "doing dots" late at night in the early 80's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lawdn said:

Every year I go through withdrawal when the season ends. If you do too, what do you do for it?

One benefit of having paid for 2 months of Flo is I can listen to Flo Radio for a few weeks and it brings up nice memories of earlier seasons or I hear a show I never heard before. Just heard “Tilt”, “Avian”, and others. I heard the “The Great Event”. and wow it reminded me how much that middle 2010s Blue Knights era was special.

Yeah. I am a track and field fan, so i have that coming up this weekend and will last for 10 days. I have a personal project working on so that will definitely keep me occupied for very very long, really excited about it! besides i am trying to start a meditation journey, it takes a lot of discipline and i am no where near achieving an ounce of the practice. Also I have a buddy who comes to pick me up now and then to do fun, eventful things with. I have renovation work to complete on my kitchen and bathroom Lol. Other random things may pop up that i may reject Lmao..

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I go from Bloooooooooo to Go Blue! 

Ha ha... Bloooooooo is Amazing. I am already intrigued not knowing what they'll do.

• Like 2

It's not easy. Right after Finals I always feel like summer ended even though technically summer does not end until September 21 or something like that. I managed to finish all my field charting for other bands and some music arrangements as well. Most of that has to be finished by early to mid July. I continue to gig on the trombone and try to take in as much College Football as I can. I am not as much into the NFL. Only really watch come the playoffs. This is mostly due to the Cleveland Browns having poor management. 

Fall is great for beautiful weekend drives on the backroads as the leaves change colors and the weather cools. We love finiding neat B&B places and going to neat and small midwest town. We will usually pick 2 or 3 weekends to hit places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Lake Chautauqua (NY), and Columbus. My girl loves Musicals, and for me it's all about the Cleveland Orchestra. 

As we get closer to Thanksgiving and beyond my girl and I head to NYC for a few Broadway shows. Got to see Patrick Page do his last show with Hadestown on December 30 over New Year's weekend last year. Amazing performance and incredible show. Somewhere in there if we get enough snow (usually by mid-to-late December I will go skiing, but usually Ski season in NE Ohio, Upstate NY begins in January. 

• Like 3

On 8/14/2023 at 2:44 PM, MarkHornGA said:

If you haven’t watched the 2000 Cadets and Cavies showdown in a while, I HIGHLY recommend it. Just watched and man those were some ballsy corps. 

You know how when certain guitarists pick up a guitar there's one song/riff that they ALWAYS play, almost instinctually?

That's what the ending of 2000 Cavies is for me. Any unattended keyboards or mallet instruments in my vicinity will be subjected to Niagara Falls and they'll like it, goshdarnit!

• Like 1

Immediately after DCI is college band/high school band season, so I tide myself over with that. There are some surprisingly good high school bands, some that one could honestly mistake for a drum corps. Late winter-spring is where the withdrawal kicks in. Indoor drumline is awesome but you really miss getting your face ripped off sometimes.

This is also the period that begins the ritual of me constantly referencing DCI out of habit in unrelated videos. I'm sure there's some confused horror makeup artists wondering why I counted down to me spraying fake blood on myself with "One! One and four!" and "One, ch ch ah! Fiiive six seven!" instead of counting to three like a boring normal person 😛

• Like 1