A Dinosaur's Lament

2 hours ago, Zanjero said:

When they allow woodwinds, please just go ahead and allow auto-tune.

I think adding woodwinds would be the last straw, even for more progressive people in the activity. I can see maybe allowing solo instruments, but you can do that with an EWI and change the sound. 

9 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I think adding woodwinds would be the last straw, even for more progressive people in the activity. I can see maybe allowing solo instruments, but you can do that with an EWI and change the sound. 

It will be for me, and I think it's inevitable.  I just hope I've checked out before it happens!  For the "Dinos/Traditionalists" Drum Corps would lose, it may pick up more fans/interest from the woodwind-bando crowd and be a net gain.  

I would just ask they let us have a proper funeral.  

This raises the eternal question: where does it end?

Undoubtedly folks can - and will - make cases for why all instrumentation should be allowed. There will be excuses about it being "for the kids" and "about the experience", and yadda yadda. For the "survival of the activity".
To even acknowledge that there may in fact be a line, would be to admit all of the changes made over the years have possibly crossed it, and could, or should, be rolled back. 

I don't know if pandora's box can be closed at this point. When the arguments delve fully into the ideological, and not the practical, anything goes. And get off my lawn!! 

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It will be for me, and I think it's inevitable.  I just hope I've checked out before it happens!  For the "Dinos/Traditionalists" Drum Corps would lose, it may pick up more fans/interest from the woodwind-bando crowd and be a net gain.  

When the BluRays and DVD’s were available in November which would have been prior to 2014, I was told by the young man selling the product that  a huge chunk of the sales each year were at BOA Grand Nationals. I don’t know what huge meant in terms of percentage of sales is concerned, but my understanding is it was significant. I know many people who sit in my block never miss Grand Nationals, and it’s a pretty traditional drum corps crowd. I think for many drum corps fans, many attend high school band competitions and WGI and lots of high school band fans attend DCI. We could lose people at shows if woodwinds are added, but I don’t think we would see a sizable increase in attendance if woodwinds are allowed. They’re already attending. Band circuits are not as popular where I live (Massachusetts) as in the South and Midwest, maybe it’s different, but I’ve never heard anyone say they do not attend DCI because woodwinds are not allowed,  jt as a one time clarinet player, I never wanted woodwinds in drum corps.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 3:34 PM, ContraFart said:

I think the mic limit was discussed at Januals and defeated. I would not mind mics for solos an small ensembles, but I am with the dinosaurs when it comes to entire section reinforcement. 

and i think the BOA "recomendation" will be most likely ignored. until a numerical penalty is attached, it's worthless

• Like 2

11 hours ago, valjean said:

This raises the eternal question: where does it end?

Undoubtedly folks can - and will - make cases for why all instrumentation should be allowed. There will be excuses about it being "for the kids" and "about the experience", and yadda yadda. For the "survival of the activity".
To even acknowledge that there may in fact be a line, would be to admit all of the changes made over the years have possibly crossed it, and could, or should, be rolled back. 

I don't know if pandora's box can be closed at this point. When the arguments delve fully into the ideological, and not the practical, anything goes. And get off my lawn!! 

IMO it's a pretty simple question to answer,

Corps will decide when the line has been crossed

Corps will decide when enough is enough

Corps will decide when if it's time to revert back to a more controlled time

Corps will decide " How " they will be judged

Corps will decide everything moving forward  and in what way ( the good or bad of that )

So basically " Corps will always decide " like I said the good or bad of it "

I know there are some that don't like that answer sometimes BUT that pretty much is the bottom line.

BUT you do have a nice lawn....lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

IMO it's a pretty simple question to answer,

Corps will decide when the line has been crossed

Corps will decide when enough is enough

Corps will decide when if it's time to revert back to a more controlled time

Corps will decide " How " they will be judged

Corps will decide everything moving forward  and in what way ( the good or bad of that )

So basically " Corps will always decide " like I said the good or bad of it "

I know there are some that don't like that answer sometimes BUT that pretty much is the bottom line.

BUT you do have a nice lawn....lol

The other side of the coin is corps trying to keep up or out do each other. IMO corps will decide but looking out for #1 (aka themselves) could screw the pooch. 

And my lawn sucks 😆

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The other side of the coin is corps trying to keep up or out do each other. IMO corps will decide but looking out for #1 (aka themselves) could screw the pooch. 

And my lawn sucks 😆

either way ,good or bad it still comes down to their decisions.

I have a landscaper otherwise mine would suck too.🙃lol

• Like 1

22 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I don't think it's inevitable. I think it would be such a deathknell to the activity that it probably won't happen. People are dumb, but not that dumb 

On 8/24/2023 at 7:47 AM, Zanjero said:

When they allow woodwinds, please just go ahead and allow auto-tune.

(Full disclosure, yes I am a woodwind player, and I am learning a brass instrument) I think woodwinds may help dci in getting new members. This might just be a work ethic issue but a lot of woodwind players likely don’t want to learn a whole new instrument to make it in dci. I think if you want more money flowing through drum corps, opening the activity to woodwinds would provide a large boost to dci. Even just allowing woodwind soloists would really help especially with troopers considering all the spaghetti western themes had English Horn in them.