CA Department of Justice sends Vanguard second delinquency notice as of Aug 25, 2023

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s what I’m seeing with multiple instances of CA paperwork not going in. Board of Non profit I was in said for years they knew what they were doing…. Then lost non profit status for years 🤦‍♂️

Next on my list would be diligence on VMAPA governance model and how it has been executed over the last 4-5 years, along with mapping BoD competencies and skill sets to what is needed for a youth education nonprofit and drum corps specifically. Not to prejudge but it is hard to understand how they could be in the situation they are in without a material failure in there. So looking at and understanding root causation here seems critical. It is an exercise VMAPA should proactively be looking at doing this if they haven't done it already but I would understand why it might not have happened if they might be busy putting out fires - but not doing it means more fires might pop up going forward.

Those with nonprofit governance model expertise please feel free to step in here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say making them take SOAs model for revamping reporting and saftey on top of that.

But yeah the financials to safely do a tour ties in with that for me.  My fear is it's gonna get an, "Oh we can't lose SCV!  Sure you can come on back in 2024! no questions asked!"   

Then we start getting stories about financal issues on tour, and some of the tolerance of abusive behavior from staff we've been hearing about in the culture comes to the fore as they scrimp on things the members need on tour. This generation doesn't take that sort of crap silently like past generations...it'll leak out all the hell over the place on reddit.  At that point morale goes south and the whole thing just becomes extremely unpleasant (at best) for everyone involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, lawdn said:

Next on my list would be diligence on VMAPA governance model and how it has been executed over the last 4-5 years, along with mapping BoD competencies and skill sets to what is needed for a youth education nonprofit and drum corps specifically. Not to prejudge but it is hard to understand how they could be in the situation they are in without a material failure in there. So looking at and understanding root causation here seems critical. It is an exercise VMAPA should proactively be looking at doing this if they haven't done it already but I would understand why it might not have happened if they might be busy putting out fires - but not doing it means more fires might pop up going forward.

Those with nonprofit governance model expertise please feel free to step in here!

I’m thinking how many vacancies they have currently with board and other management areas. And why the hades they can’t fill them.. including the TOP SPOT.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, lawdn said:

No notes. :babies:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

should we start compiling a list to forward to them?

Reasonably sure the people in that room are more aware of what the pertinent questions are than the DCP universe. Drum corps is a very small world.

==

Maybe they discussed this, maybe they didn't, but taking baby steps with a west coast tour for just their B corps would probably  be more palatable to the voting members than a full-on WC tour with the A corps. It would help reintroduce the brand to the home market and give the organization time to continue fixing the big picture issues that continue to dog them, and (if I put on my imaginary AG hat), make a strong case that the organization was fulfilling their charter to provide performance opportunities for young people rather than using Bingo as a cash machine for its own sake.

Because if DCI's voters say no to a national tour for the A corps, and there's no backup plan, and they have to sit out another season.....yeah. that's not good.  

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Maybe they discussed this, maybe they didn't, but taking baby steps with a west coast tour for just their B corps would probably be more palatable to the voting members than a full-on WC tour with the A corps. It would help reintroduce the brand to the home market and give the organization time to continue fixing the big picture issues that continue to dog them, and (if I put on my imaginary AG hat), make a strong case that the organization was fulfilling their charter to provide performance opportunities for young people rather than using Bingo as a cash machine for its own sake.

I would hope this is the direction they eventually go, because at present the VC website says, “With an average age of 17, Vanguard Cadets is the *primary training ground* for membership in our World Class ensemble,” which is utter bunk. It’s the primary training ground for people who go elsewhere for WC….and win. 

SCVC & the A-corps have the same number of championships banners in the rehearsal room (7), which doesn’t sit well with a faction of alumni. That same faction then has to look at the championship scoreboard and see that BD is crushing SCV by two touchdowns; the sun will burn out before SCV ever catches up. 

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I'd say making them take SOAs model for revamping reporting and saftey on top of that.

But yeah the financials to safely do a tour ties in with that for me.  My fear is it's gonna get an, "Oh we can't lose SCV!  Sure you can come on back in 2024! no questions asked!"   

Then we start getting stories about financal issues on tour, and some of the tolerance of abusive behavior from staff we've been hearing about in the culture comes to the fore as they scrimp on things the members need on tour. This generation doesn't take that sort of crap silently like past generations...it'll leak out all the hell over the place on reddit.  At that point morale goes south and the whole thing just becomes extremely unpleasant (at best) for everyone involved.

some stories floated in 2022. not saying they were true, but they were out there

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m thinking how many vacancies they have currently with board and other management areas. And why the hades they can’t fill them.. including the TOP SPOT.

not only do they have empties, they need to add many, many more qualified people. the size they have isn't enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRacer said:

I would hope this is the direction they eventually go, because at present the VC website says, “With an average age of 17, Vanguard Cadets is the *primary training ground* for membership in our World Class ensemble,” which is utter bunk. It’s the primary training ground for people who go elsewhere for WC….and win. 

SCVC & the A-corps have the same number of championships banners in the rehearsal room (7), which doesn’t sit well with a faction of alumni. That same faction then has to look at the championship scoreboard and see that BD is crushing SCV by two touchdowns; the sun will burn out before SCV ever catches up. 

how many SCVC kids went to SCV?

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Because nobody wants to go down with a sinking ship. We have to face facts here, that is what the VMAPA organization is currently. What's left of the board has locked themselves somewhere under the A-Deck, their heads are barely above the water, and they're running out of oxygen.

How can they be saved?

That's the million dollar question, and time is running out.

• Like 2