Questions about DCI All Age and Saturday Programming

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

As I’ve been reading some of the comments and giving them some thought, I would wonder if DCI All Age could be split over two days. Semi’s on Friday does not begin until 1 PM. Why not have the All Age prelims on Friday morning? SoundSport and DrumLine Battle would still have Saturday morning. All Age finals would be Saturday afternoon.  It would be a tight schedule, but it wouldn’t split the audience. 

that would defeat the purpose of all-age.  weekend only.  you can't get everyone there for fri.  so you have to put it all on saturday.   

41 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

It was promising back in 2013-4-5 when open-class was actually open.

open class is the BOAT of drum corps.  its a hole in the field that corps admin and members are expected to throw money into for enjoyment, expecting not a darned thing in return, and DCI treats it as such.  $0 payed out to open class for open class shows.  minimal payout for mixed class shows.  and diddly squat for anything else.   So going to open class is a great feat, and also an awful punishment.   You now have expectations to field a longer show, do some minimal touring, and fund it all yourself.  yes that's right. welcome to Open Class, now go Fund Yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tim K said:

As I’ve been reading some of the comments and giving them some thought, I would wonder if DCI All Age could be split over two days. Semi’s on Friday does not begin until 1 PM. Why not have the All Age prelims on Friday morning? SoundSport and DrumLine Battle would still have Saturday morning. All Age finals would be Saturday afternoon.  It would be a tight schedule, but it wouldn’t split the audience. 

a lot will depend on the number of corps. 12 like this year...possible. more than 12......not so sure.

34 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

that would defeat the purpose of all-age.  weekend only.  you can't get everyone there for fri.  so you have to put it all on saturday.   

well let's be honest.....most were in Rochester/Williamsport/Scranton/Syracuse/wherever on Friday rehearsing- under the old format

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

for exposure? i'd bet any of them would do it

It already happens. This past year and in 2019, Spartans’ encore was at semi’s not finals. I believe SCVC also had an encore at semi’s in 2022 though they could have performed prior to finals. I was outside at the time waiting to get in so I wouldn’t know!

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

It already happens. This past year and in 2019, Spartans’ encore was at semi’s not finals. I believe SCVC also had an encore at semi’s in 2022 though they could have performed prior to finals. I was outside at the time waiting to get in so I wouldn’t know!

i believe thats because Spartans head home after semis.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 1:12 PM, Jeff Ream said:

and DCA spawned soundsport Minnesota Brass and Chops. so whatever it helps to grow is a benefit

Sonus Brass Theater too, they are officially a program of Shenandoah Sound

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spandy said:

Sonus Brass Theater too, they are officially a program of Shenandoah Sound

That’s right!

On 9/7/2023 at 5:59 PM, Jeff Ream said:

well let's be honest.....most were in Rochester/Williamsport/Scranton/Syracuse/wherever on Friday rehearsing- under the old format

Some were there the Thursday of that weekend. 

Even if the 2024 show is "Saturday only"... there's still the travel involved to get there. The corps won't be pulling into town Saturday AM and heading right to the stadium. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Some were there the Thursday of that weekend. 

Even if the 2024 show is "Saturday only"... there's still the travel involved to get there. The corps won't be pulling into town Saturday AM and heading right to the stadium. LOL

Then we had the Prelims Sunday morning/early afternoon and Finals that night. Better corps had earlier times and had time to recover before finals. “On the bubble” corps who were on late and made Finals had left their better show at Prelims. 🥵