Questions about DCI All Age and Saturday Programming

7 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Was having a discussion with a friend of mine that participated in a group at DCA this weekend. He felt this combination is a great idea and you may start to see some Soundsport teams moving up to the new “All age” class. We both felt that this is an opportunity for Soundsport and the All age to feed off each other and could bring more groups into the arena. 

I can recall hearing at the first SoundSport in 2013 how SoundSport had such great potential to give groups hoping to compete in Open Class and one day World Class the opportunity to grow. To the best of my knowledge only Guardians has gone from SoundSport to Open Class competition. Certainly SoundSport has grown from its first foray on the steps of Lucas Oil’s South entrance to a well organized and enjoyable event, but not one that’s completely drum corps. Don’t get me wrong, one of the most heartwarming performances I have seen in Indy was the multigenerational Chinese family playing traditional Chinese string and percussion instruments with a little one, probably about five or six assisting an older man, probably a great grandfather who had to be well in his 80’s. The Latin American dance troupe and musicians were riveting and talented. The alumni groups still have it, and while it’s entertaining and a great way to spend the Saturday morning, you can’t say it grows drum corps. 

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Soundsport & All-Age feeding off each other could turn into cannibalism, which is never a long-term solution to a problem. 

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I'm thinking they meant that it might make DCA stronger with the addition of a possible "tour optional" class of SoundSport participants?  Do you think there could be a master plan by DCI to take DCA under their 'umbrella' and merge SoundSport and/or DrumLine Battle? Could a merger make both groups stronger? That would make an interesting competition on Saturday morning @Lucas Oil.  Just thinking out loud...  

For me personally, I would be more likely to attend the DCA finals instead of SoundSport.  That's probably due to some friends on staff.  I've never attended SoundSport but did watch & listen from the street one year when they performed in the old parking lot.     

It’s the point that you could see soundsport groups making a jump to all age and become competitive. You could see all age groups that don’t necessarily want to travel officially send small groups to be soundsport participants. And sending any type of small group could build interest and allow them to travel officially if funding becomes stable. 

The greater point is that it opens the door for many possibilities while still keeping a platform available for all age.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I can recall hearing at the first SoundSport in 2013 how SoundSport had such great potential to give groups hoping to compete in Open Class and one day World Class the opportunity to grow. To the best of my knowledge only Guardians has gone from SoundSport to Open Class competition. Certainly SoundSport has grown from its first foray on the steps of Lucas Oil’s South entrance to a well organized and enjoyable event, but not one that’s completely drum corps. Don’t get me wrong, one of the most heartwarming performances I have seen in Indy was the multigenerational Chinese family playing traditional Chinese string and percussion instruments with a little one, probably about five or six assisting an older man, probably a great grandfather who had to be well in his 80’s. The Latin American dance troupe and musicians were riveting and talented. The alumni groups still have it, and while it’s entertaining and a great way to spend the Saturday morning, you can’t say it grows drum corps. 

You can’t say it doesn’t grow drum corps either. Guardians were successful in making the jump due to money and membership. There’s other groups out there that are still working on building that, if it’s their goal to make the jump. There are other groups where it is not the goal to make the jump and that’s okay. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

You can’t say it doesn’t grow drum corps either. Guardians were successful in making the jump due to money and membership. There’s other groups out there that are still working on building that, if it’s their goal to make the jump. There are other groups where it is not the goal to make the jump and that’s okay. 

Guardians, Columbians, Arsenal, Battalion all came from soundsport

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 12:21 PM, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Was having a discussion with a friend of mine that participated in a group at DCA this weekend. He felt this combination is a great idea and you may start to see some Soundsport teams moving up to the new “All age” class. We both felt that this is an opportunity for Soundsport and the All age to feed off each other and could bring more groups into the arena. 

it could take former DCA corps who became soundsport back into DCA. the Labor Day albatross for recruiting is now removed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wolfgang said:

Wild thought- have DCA Champ do an exhibition before DCI WC finals. I know there are 3 champs, use the one with highest score.

They may. The Open Class champion gets an exhibition. 

6 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Wild thought- have DCA Champ do an exhibition before DCI WC finals. I know there are 3 champs, use the one with highest score.

That would be an eye opener for the DCI crowd… 

10 hours ago, wolfgang said:

DCA Championships would have to be done by 3:00 PM so DCI can clear stadium for 5:00 PM opening  for DCI WC Finals. Exhibition would lave to be between 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. What corps is going to want to perform a second time so soon after winning the All Age Event.  All the DCA Champ is going to get is a five minute video blurb some time during finals. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dcifanforlife said:

DCA Championships would have to be done by 3:00 PM so DCI can clear stadium for 5:00 PM opening  for DCI WC Finals. Exhibition would lave to be between 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. What corps is going to want to perform a second time so soon after winning the All Age Event.  All the DCA Champ is going to get is a five minute video blurb some time during finals. 

.... the winning DCI champ performs right after winning. So what's the difference?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1