Troopers 2023 Props

31 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Corps can use whatever they want prop/amp/etc, but it all has to fit in 3 busses, 2 semis, one food truck, one box truck (souvenirs) & 2 vans.   Any vehicles over this limit is 10 point penalty per vehicle.  This would lower fuel cost, vehicle rental cost, insurance, driver support costs (food, housing) and perhaps other costs. Designers - knock yourselves out.  But it has to all fit in above convoy limit.  

Then the corps with the budget would figure a way to make it easy to carry stuff on the top and sides of trucks, be legal, and make it under all bridges.  The box truck could be closer to 30' in length.  And then there are those corps who would have a class action suit defending their first amendment rights.  This might all be a moot point since the majority of corps directors would not pass it at the January meetings. 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I suggest a different approach to limiting costs.  Rather than put limits on props, tarps, amps, etc- limit the size of the transportation convoy.  

Corps can use whatever they want prop/amp/etc, but it all has to fit in 3 busses, 2 semis, one food truck, one box truck (souvenirs) & 2 vans.   Any vehicles over this limit is 10 point penalty per vehicle. 

This would lower fuel cost, vehicle rental cost, insurance, driver support costs (food, housing) and perhaps other costs. Designers - knock yourselves out.  But it has to all fit in above convoy limit.  

Or maybe a 26' U-Haul & one Yugo hatchback? 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TOC said:

Then the corps with the budget would figure a way to make it easy to carry stuff on the top and sides of trucks, be legal, and make it under all bridges.  The box truck could be closer to 30' in length.  And then there are those corps who would have a class action suit defending their first amendment rights.  This might all be a moot point since the majority of corps directors would not pass it at the January meetings. 

Not a First Amendment Issue.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Or maybe a 26' U-Haul & one Yugo hatchback? 😂

He has a RUNNING YUGO?!?!? What wizardry is this?!?

On an on topic note, my fear is not so much the number and size of props as it is the safety of those props as we go more and more vertical. We're 1 major injury (or worse) from corps being FORCED to consider minimizing props (at least from a size/height perspective.)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

He has a RUNNING YUGO?!?!? What wizardry is this?!?

On an on topic note, my fear is not so much the number and size of props as it is the safety of those props as we go more and more vertical. We're 1 major injury (or worse) from corps being FORCED to consider minimizing props (at least from a size/height perspective.)

Ya, the whole vertical race seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.  Honestly, I get more enjoyment from performing, playing and marching than watching how much money someone has wasted on props.  I feel like the activity has slid backwards from the 2006-2015 era relying too much on "props" vs show and content.  The fact we are now sacrificing performance time to carry stuff on and off the field speaks to this.  Not only that but and entire other vehicle to cart around stuff you use for one year is so wasteful.  I can't believe some green group hasn't protested the activity yet.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:43 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I suggest a different approach to limiting costs.  Rather than put limits on props, tarps, amps, etc- limit the size of the transportation convoy.  

Corps can use whatever they want prop/amp/etc, but it all has to fit in 3 busses, 2 semis, one food truck, one box truck (souvenirs) & 2 vans.   Any vehicles over this limit is 10 point penalty per vehicle. 

This would lower fuel cost, vehicle rental cost, insurance, driver support costs (food, housing) and perhaps other costs. Designers - knock yourselves out.  But it has to all fit in above convoy limit.  

What do you use for the volunteer staff and other staffers that travel with a corps; medical, cooks/food, souvies, instructors/techs? Top corps convoys are 13-15 vehicles. 6 busses (with entertainers) 3-4 semis for equipment and props (maybe a box truck instead of a semi), souvie truck & trailer, 2-3 shuttle van type vehicle for on road errands and emergencies.  Aside from transporting mm’s (+/- 165 mm’s) you will need to transport support staff and touring instructors of up to 75 more people.  Reducing vehicles is a good idea, so long as all people moving needs are met too.

There are efficiencies to be gained in corps touring costs by buying smart.  Buy in bulk by creating buying collectives amongst corps.  Bid out corps services: busses, trucks, supplies.  Work/partner with corporations to unify buying & replenishment when touring.  Such as all corps buy supplies and food from WalMart, Costco, BJ’s, Sams Clubs, etc.,etc. Can Sysco deliver food for a number of corps at a regional?  Corporations may find it appealing to assist non-profit orgs, that are community based, by sponsoring programs for touring needs.  Not necessarily giving things for free, but at a significant discount or tiered assistance based on need.  Open Class corps might get more help than the top WC corps. 
Thinking outside of the box is needed.  

12 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

What do you use for the volunteer staff and other staffers that travel with a corps; medical, cooks/food, souvies, instructors/techs? Top corps convoys are 13-15 vehicles. 6 busses (with entertainers) 3-4 semis for equipment and props (maybe a box truck instead of a semi), souvie truck & trailer, 2-3 shuttle van type vehicle for on road errands and emergencies.  Aside from transporting mm’s (+/- 165 mm’s) you will need to transport support staff and touring instructors of up to 75 more people.  Reducing vehicles is a good idea, so long as all people moving needs are met too.

There are efficiencies to be gained in corps touring costs by buying smart.  Buy in bulk by creating buying collectives amongst corps.  Bid out corps services: busses, trucks, supplies.  Work/partner with corporations to unify buying & replenishment when touring.  Such as all corps buy supplies and food from WalMart, Costco, BJ’s, Sams Clubs, etc.,etc. Can Sysco deliver food for a number of corps at a regional?  Corporations may find it appealing to assist non-profit orgs, that are community based, by sponsoring programs for touring needs.  Not necessarily giving things for free, but at a significant discount or tiered assistance based on need.  Open Class corps might get more help than the top WC corps. 
Thinking outside of the box is needed.  

If you can’t fit it in the caravan footprint then you don’t bring it.  Decide what is most important.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Can Sysco deliver food for a number of corps at a regional?  Corporations may find it appealing to assist non-profit orgs, that are community based, by sponsoring programs for touring needs.  Not necessarily giving things for free, but at a significant discount or tiered assistance based on need.  Open Class corps might get more help than the top WC corps. 

So wayyyyy back when, my late father told me about being approached by Suncoast Sound about how to properly set up food trucks and replenish on the road. He worked for Aramark (ARA at the time) and alas, I can't find out more now (miss ya' papa.) I would be pretty confident that major food service companies like Five Star, Aramark and Sysco could make the food part of tour pretty darn easy. You just have to have someone explain the unique needs of a touring corps rather than the typical stationary college campus or elite private high school. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So wayyyyy back when, my late father told me about being approached by Suncoast Sound about how to properly set up food trucks and replenish on the road. He worked for Aramark (ARA at the time) and alas, I can't find out more now (miss ya' papa.) I would be pretty confident that major food service companies like Five Star, Aramark and Sysco could make the food part of tour pretty darn easy. You just have to have someone explain the unique needs of a touring corps rather than the typical stationary college campus or elite private high school. 

Corps have been using these companies for decades.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Corps have been using these companies for decades.

That's good to know. It's not something I really think much about these days or really for the last 30+ years. Always hire experts (and those companies do what they do, very well in general.)