Troopers 2023 Props

That’s pretty cool. I know the main prop was like a salad bowl set or something. They still had the price tag stickers on them

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

That’s pretty cool. I know the main prop was like a salad bowl set or something. They still had the price tag stickers on them

When I saw them, I told my wife they look like our dog's water & food bowls. His bowls are stainless steel (maybe w/chrome finish) & look just like them!  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2023 at 9:44 PM, TOC said:

They may have rented it for two months.  That one with the power pack and such must cost close to five figures.

I would say that if you aren't correct, you SHOULD be correct. I can't imagine putting 9 to 10k into a single season prop that really can't be somehow reused or re-imagined.

Think of it like bands in the 80s and you're a record producer. Flock of Seaguls comes in and wants you to take on the cost of producing an album. They've got one decent song in them. It just makes no sense to spend the money.

Frankly, this is where DCI should be stepping in and start putting an upper limit on prop costs.  It's getting out of control and getting points for having more money is starting to get rather blatant.  It should NOT be a requirement of being a contender yet here we are.

2 minutes ago, TheDoctoress said:

Do we even know how much these props cost? Just because they look complex doesn’t necessarily mean more expensive. 

AI didn't make it.  That's a lot of design and labor to get that right.  Then the battery and wiring is needed. 

I think there are interesting and valid points on both sides. You absolutely don't want a "build it bigger or don't get GE" mentality. That's a valid concern. You also have to be careful of how you set caps. I can see doing that and then a corps cutting back on costs by not building what they will use to make it as safe as possible. Welds cost money, labor, materials and time cost money. You have to have a balance that I am not quite confident that all member corps are yet capable of from a responsibility standpoint. 

On 9/7/2023 at 9:42 AM, Mello Dude said:

Frankly, this is where DCI should be stepping in and start putting an upper limit on prop costs.  It's getting out of control and getting points for having more money is starting to get rather blatant.  It should NOT be a requirement of being a contender yet here we are.

On 9/7/2023 at 8:44 PM, TheDoctoress said:

Do we even know how much these props cost? Just because they look complex doesn’t necessarily mean more expensive. 

On 9/7/2023 at 8:49 PM, TOC said:

AI didn't make it.  That's a lot of design and labor to get that right.  Then the battery and wiring is needed. 

On 9/7/2023 at 10:14 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think there are interesting and valid points on both sides. You absolutely don't want a "build it bigger or don't get GE" mentality. That's a valid concern. You also have to be careful of how you set caps. I can see doing that and then a corps cutting back on costs by not building what they will use to make it as safe as possible. Welds cost money, labor, materials and time cost money. You have to have a balance that I am not quite confident that all member corps are yet capable of from a responsibility standpoint. 

I suggest a different approach to limiting costs.  Rather than put limits on props, tarps, amps, etc- limit the size of the transportation convoy.  

Corps can use whatever they want prop/amp/etc, but it all has to fit in 3 busses, 2 semis, one food truck, one box truck (souvenirs) & 2 vans.   Any vehicles over this limit is 10 point penalty per vehicle. 

This would lower fuel cost, vehicle rental cost, insurance, driver support costs (food, housing) and perhaps other costs. Designers - knock yourselves out.  But it has to all fit in above convoy limit.  

• Like 1