Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I believe the issue about these auditions is that SCV was fully aware they were not going out in 2023, prior to the auditions, yet held the auditions. This would be a case of purposely misleading the auditioners.  Similar instances, when a group is knowingly not going to follow through on a legitimately inferred transaction (an audition to perform) would be characterized as a scam or fraudulent activity.  Put yourself in the auditioners position, not as a defender of SCV’s position and you might see the problem folks have with one of the issues here.  And there are a few other issues.

I never "defended" SCV's position, and yeah, I would be upset if I attended, paid money, and find out that they were not coming out.  Some have said refunds or partial refunds were issued, and they did connect with those folks.....I do not know.  My only point was that something was provided for the camp fee....ie food, housing, instruction.....if they had cancelled the camp and did not return funds, then the students would have paid money for absolutely nothing...........the matter is over....they held the camp.....went inactive the following week.....breeched "trust".......I do not know anyone on their board, and what has or hasn't been done over this last year to remedy their problems.  I can tell you that many here think that they are going to "do it again".  I can tell you that if they did, that would likely be the end of SCV.

3 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

I never "defended" SCV's position, and yeah, I would be upset if I attended, paid money, and find out that they were not coming out.  Some have said refunds or partial refunds were issued, and they did connect with those folks.....I do not know.  My only point was that something was provided for the camp fee....ie food, housing, instruction.....if they had cancelled the camp and did not return funds, then the students would have paid money for absolutely nothing...........the matter is over....they held the camp.....went inactive the following week.....breeched "trust".......I do not know anyone on their board, and what has or hasn't been done over this last year to remedy their problems.  I can tell you that many here think that they are going to "do it again".  I can tell you that if they did, that would likely be the end of SCV.

If I recall correctly, it wasn’t just that SCV held a camp one day before folding; they were offering contracts to members at that camp.   Makes a bad look even worse in my opinion.  

7 hours ago, Bob984 said:

DCI has always had many "long winded" policies........what you post is from open to world.......right, wrong, or indifferent....DCI isn't going to treat a corps that was in finals from 1972 - 2021 as a "new world class corps".......

Yes, DCI DOES look at corps making the move from open to world in detail.......they want the corps to succeed and not be in over their head.........however, DCI doesn't have the manpower/resources to do financial analysis of all of their members........the fiscal health of each corps is each corps' responsibility......also, it would become unfair if one corps was precluded from competition/touring because of fiscal health, yet others with the same or worse problems are allowed to "slide"......many competitors would disappear if hard ball was played here..........

That said, there have been DCI World Class corps hit the field at the start of the year still $300,000+ in debt.....with no investigation/inquiries by DCI........even in the 1980's there were corps who hit the field with this level of debt....imagine what that would be in 2023 dollars.........

If anything good came out of SCV's case,  it is for all corps to take a serious look at their fiscal house, and that it is probably not a good idea to spend more money than you take in..............

however DCI has to have seen everything that has come out the last 10 months..and by DCI i mean the office, the BOD and the members....and that alone should have warranted a look. i'd almost guarantee information was sent to all of the above along the way

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

There is not grey area here. The corps was not transparent, has never been transparent, and is showing no signs of a desire to be transparent in the future. 

contracts were awarded too correct?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

So what point are you making here?

As for the audition fees the organization received for the 2023 season. Did those fees go to cover the salaries of the bingo workers? Was VMAPA behind in paying those salaries and ran the camp knowing they were not fielding a corps to keep bingo operation staffed?

Granted, this is only speculation, but based on preceding discussions I wouldn’t be shocked if this was proven to be true.

Those who paid to participate in 2023 should receive a refund for a portion of those fees. 

here's a question....do the members know their money goes to pay for bingo workers or do they assume it covers their costs?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, year1buick said:

point-of-view-star-wars.gif

but do you have the high ground?

4 hours ago, DSpruce said:

If folks don’t want me around which has been made clear, stop saying mean things to me provoking me to reply.

he asked a simple question. it wasn't to provoke a fight it was to get a factual honest answer

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, DSpruce said:

I know stuff about the audits status as well but holding back because I don’t want to be picked apart within an inch of my life. they are fine. They don’t owe random “stakeholders” all that much. The donations being withheld are tiny. 

IMO....given the #### storm that has been building since last December, they owe everyone everything. because God forbid they come back out and then after the season it's gone for good or even for another year, there's zero credibility left for the organization and it's leadership.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

IMO....given the #### storm that has been building since last December, they owe everyone everything. because God forbid they come back out and then after the season it's gone for good or even for another year, there's zero credibility left for the organization and it's leadership.

Worse, let’s relive the 80s and 90s.  You get to tour time and the bus company isn’t paid. So no one gets to go on tour.  Or your tractor rentals aren’t paid, so the semis can’t go on tour.

Or worse yet… Suppose they get 30-45 days on the road and it all falls apart.  There’s no money for food. (Oddly This isn’t an uncommon problem in drum corps.. seriously)  

Perhaps they hit Charles city, IA and have to shut down, and then everyone ends up ubering to the podunk airport (should Uber operate there…. or worse… no Uber in bumble**** nowhere) and then everyone just gotta find their way home.  

kids… get a lawyer.  Always get a lawyer when your corps falls apart and leaves you out to dry. (In both literal ways, as well as proverbial) 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 2