Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

The comment in the newspaper comments about doing the Lord’s work spoke very loudly to me. 

28 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

That guy passed away not long after those comments were made on their FB.  Dude was weird.  

If you are referring to the SoA comments / meltdown Jan 22, there is a huge history, back to the RAMD era, of the individual involved.  I hope his soul is at peace. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Thank God it’s Thursday! 

That's how chaotic my work life is with 56 trainers reporting to me lol. I often forget what day it is. Outlook calander and One Note save my ### on the daily.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If you are referring to the SoA comments / meltdown Jan 22, there is a huge history, back to the RAMD era, of the individual involved.  I hope his soul is at peace. 

That sounds like a very sad story but one I am not familiar with. I was referring to yesterday's Silicon Valley Voice story about VMAPA and SCV, and one of the reader comments speaking about engaging with individuals they perceive to have a grudge against the organization: 

"Far warning to anyone doing the lord’s work, any attempt to resolve matters with them worsens things for the organization."

That wording can be consistent with an attitude that the organization's mission is so noble that any criticism of the organization is always wrong. To be fair that might not be the case here, but it caught my eye. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

49ers drum line or football team? 😂🤷‍♂️ I love the drum line & their Pearls. Beautiful drums... 

Part of BD Entertainment. https://bdentertainment.com/work-items/49ers-drumline/

The fact that SCV with its historic excellence, including in percussion, isn’t running the drumline for the 49ers who have been based in Santa Clara since 1988 might say something.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lawdn said:

That sounds like a very sad story but one I am not familiar with. I was referring to yesterday's Silicon Valley Voice story about VMAPA and SCV, and one of the reader comments speaking about engaging with individuals they perceive to have a grudge against the organization: 

"Far warning to anyone doing the lord’s work, any attempt to resolve matters with them worsens things for the organization."

That wording can be consistent with an attitude that the organization's mission is so noble that any criticism of the organization is always wrong. To be fair that might not be the case here, but it caught my eye. 

based on comments in many places, that seems to be a popular viewpoint

• Sad 1

Looking at both sides here... 

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Absolutely; because if one has an IQ higher than a houseplant...or actually lives in the real world there will ALWAYS be those that sit waiting for their moment.  One only needs to look at the posts with people even threatening and/or doxing people just talking.  Including things that have ZERO to do with non-profit non-compliance.  The word you are looking for is malfeasance.  My motives (if any) are for there to be an SCV without the sneaking around by some trying to get their hands on power for their own motives.  With what I have seen from this thread alone I would heavily suggest they DON'T cave and open everything up (to everyone) until it's fixed THEN come out and show what happened.  The only good by showing everything right now, is open an endless can of worms.  Fix it with good people that are capable, reliable and trustworthy and have SCV's(kids) interests at heart (background checks would be great).  Hold the people responsible for this mess if there is a lawsuit based on said malfeasance, THEN come out and explain everything.  I've seen first hand what a small group of negative people seeking their 15 minutes can do to an organization.  Not pretty.

To be fair, I think it is highly unlikely that anyone who bothers to post more than once on this topic really wants SCV to fail.  But I get the part about not wanting the recovery effort to die from 1,000 paper cuts.

5 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

So, when confronted with an organization that has documented evidence of internal dysfunction, up to the point of no longer being able to provide the services they were created to do, and the very real possibility of losing their non-profit status, your response is what....that they are being TOO transparent? That they are somehow the victims of external 'bad actors' that is trying to take control, rather than of their own misdeeds?

You are really twisting the narrative here to blame outside parties, or at best you are absolving the board of any responsibility for creating these issues. 

In truth, it sounds like you are projecting your own negative experiences in non-profit administration onto this situation, rather than looking at what the actual situations is here

The people you are entrusting to solve the issues without any kind of oversight, are the same people that let this situation come to pass, and are the same people that have silenced members and staff for decades that try to shine lights on THEIR malfeasance. 

I hate to break it to you, but the can of worms has already been opened. It started opening when they pulled their champion cadets corps from activity last fall, and hasn't stopped since. However instead of trying to clean up those worms, the org has just been silently trying to stand in front of the can, waving their hands in the air and pretending it doesn't exist. 

To be fair, it is only some of the same people who got VMAPA into this situation.  We have a new CEO, a new corps director, and a new treasurer.  But I get the part about how at some point, this new team has to bring their messaging past "nothing to see here" and present some detail.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I am glad you posted this link again.  I see the comments have gotten 10 times uglier since this morning.

Wonder how many potential members and their parents read this paper. “Gee do I want to send all this money to that dumpster fire?”. Even if SCV gets their act together this makes Alumni sound like people you don’t want to turn your back on. 😨

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder how many potential members and their parents read this paper. “Gee do I want to send all this money to that dumpster fire?”. Even if SCV gets their act together this makes Alumni sound like people you don’t want to turn your back on. 😨

It is a very local paper and SCV previously has been a strong recruiter nationally I think but this would show up in an internet search for news about SCV for anyone doing research on the corps.

And some of the alums - yikes.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lawdn said:

It is a very local paper and SCV previously has been a strong recruiter nationally I think but this would show up in an internet search for news about SCV for anyone doing research on the corps.

Agreed, also think if DCP has the link then reddit does too. And that gets lot more notice from the youth than here.

• Like 1