Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

BITD older, more experienced marching members (section leaders & such) would help teach the new members.   With all the music education majors in the activity today I wonder if this is a potential untapped resource?  

This is how the cymbal line kinda worked when I marched. Lots of alum meetups along tour, some help with instruction if staff can't be there. Only alum teach that line anyway, music major/professional educator or not.

And this cymbal line is sacred to us. Going after their pay/employment situation isn't the solid argument people might think it is. They are the sturdiest legacy we retain, so I'm sure most admin would give the cymbal line staff and members whatever they want to sustain.

I'm much more concerned about what I already brought up previously about a substance use policy and hiring practices for that staff and overall... less distracted by payroll numbers.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

They are the sturdiest legacy we retain,

That right there is why this corps or any corps who utilizes marching cymbals among the battery wins extra extra bonus points with me. Some traditions are sacred. SCV cymbals always bring the meat to the table. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

That right there is why this corps or any corps who utilizes marching cymbals among the battery wins extra extra bonus points with me. Some traditions are sacred. SCV cymbals always bring the meat to the table. 

I thought the cymbal “V” stood for vegetarian 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes, staff is being flown in & out over the season.  I know you are in military & thus familiar w/ logistics.   And it is the logistical tail of such a large percussion staff (& brass staff, & guard staff, etc) that are driving up costs.  Consider  the logistical impact of airport runs for these staff.  Add in the logistical costs of dragging around extra semi(s) loaded with big front ensemble, props, electronics and so forth. All these little costs add up.  And then we wonder why tuition is so high & still ends don’t meet.  

I like to be overly simplistic with my explanation of things. 

When I was Treasurer my go to slogan was "Less Wheels on the Road". All costs revolved around that. How many members, how many staff, all those mouths to feed, the support vehicles and drivers to get them around, etc...... The less set of wheels is on the road has a multiplying effect. 

My military career path is literally Logistics. One of the platoons in my company I commanded were just cooks, and kitchen trailers (not nearly as nice as the corps use), but in unfolded into a cooking and serving station and could service 1/2 a combat division. 

Anyway............ in my tenure SCV really never got control over travel expenses. It's one thing to travel a lot, it is another to travel a lot LAST MINUTE.  

I have a very low confidence level that SCV will be able to coordinate when they will be, how that corresponds to where they will be, and proximity to air travel, and who on their staff will commit to the planning far enough ahead in the schedule flights and transportation to the practice location. 

That is unless, the staff already happen to live in the vicinity of where the corps will be as they tour along in a manner that no logistical planning is needed. Hey, we are driving by Bob's city, and he will meet us at rehearsal, and we will meet up with John next week as we pass by his place, etc...... 

What I think is realistically going to happen is despite their best efforts in planning where they bought Bob's flight 3 months prior he wont be able to make it, and then John will have to be flown in from Australia a week earlier than he planned to return from vacation.  They will give him a direct flight from Sydnee to Tulsa in  1st class as an incentive to change plans.  Then they will send him back to finish vacation. 

Bob and John are also only the 3rd trumpet tech staff members. 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

giphy-downsized.gif

I will embarrass myself over my undying affection for the cymbal lines of this corps. So I'll spare you except to say that they're a complicated bunch.

And my previously identified concerns stand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

Anyway............ in my tenure SCV really never got control over travel expenses. It's one thing to travel a lot, it is another to travel a lot LAST MINUTE.  

I have to say, based on my experiences in DCI, this plagues all but the few best run corps.

Mike

19 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

And this cymbal line is sacred to us. Going after their pay/employment situation isn't the solid argument people might think it is.

Even I admit that. 

They are the SEAL Team Six of Vanguard. 

Problem is real SEAL Team Six guys see them as nothing but band geeks and the closest thing they probably associate with DCI is the USMC Drum and Bugle Corps. 

What I can complain about now, and this is the whole activity, not just SCV, is the geometric growth of the staff, and the less and less they provide. 

Is is better to have 20 staff come in and out of the season per section, and hand off the continuation of instruction from where they left off with everyone having their own little spin on how to train, or is it better to have say 3-5 instructors per section for the duration of the season and maintain the continuity of how things are taught towards a common purpose. 

Previously Section Leaders (back in my grumpy old days) took on the responsibility that the subsections (first, seconds, third trumpets, etc) got their show down. 

I guess it started with the Percussion Caption. They really had more instructors per marching member than any other section (at least in SCV) as far as I remember. 

Whatever............................ I've been harping on about a lot of laws, ect......... but nothing outruns the laws of economics. Anyone think they are going to be able to tap the same creditors/vendors they burned with short term borrowing that were never intended to go beyond a month? 

I have a feeling the SCV of today is trying to pull a Cadets A&E of 2023 and come hell or high water they are going to go out onto the field after a shaky recovery regardless of what is left the following year. 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

Even I admit that. 

They are the SEAL Team Six of Vanguard. 

Problem is real SEAL Team Six guys see them as nothing but band geeks and the closest thing they probably associate with DCI is the USMC Drum and Bugle Corps. 

What I can complain about now, and this is the whole activity, not just SCV, is the geometric growth of the staff, and the less and less they provide. 

Is is better to have 20 staff come in and out of the season per section, and hand off the continuation of instruction from where they left off with everyone having their own little spin on how to train, or is it better to have say 3-5 instructors per section for the duration of the season and maintain the continuity of how things are taught towards a common purpose. 

Previously Section Leaders (back in my grumpy old days) took on the responsibility that the subsections (first, seconds, third trumpets, etc) got their show down. 

I guess it started with the Percussion Caption. They really had more instructors per marching member than any other section (at least in SCV) as far as I remember. 

Whatever............................ I've been harping on about a lot of laws, ect......... but nothing outruns the laws of economics. Anyone think they are going to be able to tap the same creditors/vendors they burned with short term borrowing that were never intended to go beyond a month? 

I have a feeling the SCV of today is trying to pull a Cadets A&E of 2023 and come hell or high water they are going to go out onto the field after a shaky recovery regardless of what is left the following year. 

In today’s world it’s difficult to find people that can be there all season. The salary isn’t huge as they’re only paid when there but the travel cost is an issue

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

In today’s world it’s difficult to find people that can be there all season. The salary isn’t huge as they’re only paid when there but the travel cost is an issue

This seems like something that could be easily analyzed:

Cost of x techs at y$ each plus $ cost of transportation to get them in & out during season.  

vs

Cost of f (for fewer) techs at h$ (h for higher, because they are there longer(daily rate stays same)) plus $ transportation for them, which should be lower because there are fewer techs swapping in & out. 

Do Corps do these calculations?

• Like 1