Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

5 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Maybe, but why?   Why not file the correct documents when you have been given several extensions/chances to do so?  Why not file them on time in the first place?   It makes no sense, unless they are either suddenly incredibly incompetent.  Or is there something that they are trying to hide that will come out when filing happens?  

i've wondered if something was hidden also

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Nothing hidden. Simple organizational incompetence, plain to see.

If they had to survive on their own devices through effective fundraising and good financial management,  rather than off a Bingo operation that was created by an earlier generation of leadership, the organization would have been dead a long time ago.

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so the below was  sent to me as it appears the DOJ stepped up their game against SCV as of 11/16

NOTIFICATION TO THE FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
The California Franchise Tax Board will be notified to disallow the tax exemption of the above-named entity and may revoke the organization's tax exempt status at which point the organization will be treated as a taxable corporation (Rev. & Tax. Code, § 23703) and may be subject to the minimum tax penalty.

not a good sign. doesn't seem like SCV is working on getting everything cleared as fast as they say. the State wouldn't have sent this if things are moving along in a reasonable timeframe

Oh no. Now I’m worried for the potential members who sent them money. Caveat Emptor. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

One thing I teach my students is ‘There is a reason things are what they are’. We might not see what the reason is, and in fact, science strives to determine these reasons, but there are reasons.  

So, the reason SCV can’t get its act together may be incompetence, or it may be some sort of fraud/theft, or something else, or some combination.   

I would hope that SCV has (1) run the numbers to determine the fiscal implications of losing tax-exempt status, & (2) communicated to potential members that there are troubling developments in the fiscal department that may have implications on the 2024 season. 

Finally- a question for those who understand California nonprofit/tax exempt rules:   Can a non tax-exempt organization legally run a bingo operation (albeit having to pay tax on profits)?   Or is bingo restricted to tax-exempt entities?   

Yet so many come on here and trash Mr. Richard Lesher. Yeah he can come off as a self promoter but hasn’t been proven wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey SCV, are you gonna do this Again to your MMs?  How about you stop shuffling around your cronies and start finding some people with competence?  Start with a California- registered CPA. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Hey SCV, are you gonna do this Again to your MMs?  How about you stop shuffling around your cronies and start finding some people with competence?  Start with a California- registered CPA. 

Gut feeling is the books may be so fouled up than it will take many CPA hours (& everyone involved being 100% honest) to untangle them.   

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Or is bingo restricted to tax-exempt entities?

Pretty sure it's restricted to charities only. Welcome correction.

I'm concerned that filing correctly or at all is taking so long. Then, there's the less than stellar communication about it. The last official statement says they submitted their most recent paperwork knowing it would be rejected, but did so with the advice of their auditors and lawyers in order to demonstrate their commitment to returning to full compliance. Signed by the former CFO for some reason.

Surely this latest letter from the DOJ will be minimized too, and we'll get a bland explanation about how everything is fine. Everything is always fine.

I'd love it if it is. I just don't see the evidence. And I don't relish in it whatsoever. I just want to be proud of my home org from every angle, and I can't be. Still.

• Thanks 2