Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

But that said, once I got home I logged on onto the DOJ site to check if any statuses changed with Vanguard's data. 

And you know what something did change. 

The November 2020 notification pertaining to the missing FY 2019 audit disappeared and looked to have been removed by the DOJ. 

Then upon further poking around the data again from scratch it turned out the file was simply RENAMED and sorted more logically with the FY2019 associated filed. 

Putting on my tinfoil aussie to me this indicates that someone over at the DOJ is cleaning up the data for whatever reason. 

4 hours ago, Lance said:

The most interesting post in this thread in a long time.  Thx. 

if you need an update since then, let me know

3 hours ago, gak27 said:

If it's something good we'd all appreciate a pic...😎

leftover pigs stomach and sorry no pix. i saw this long after i ate and did more calls, emails and got the middle schooler off the bus.

"how was your day?"

"good"

"anything fun happen?"

"yeah i came home"

LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard Lesher said:

After posting a few rants I scurried off to one of my additional duties as an Army Reservist, and lead a Military Honor Funeral Detail for a passed veteran.

I do about one of these a week. I have another one tomorrow. I suspect there is a crunch to have these services before the holidays, followed by a lull half way through December, and then slammed again in January. 

I'm that guy that hands the flag to next of kin, and says: "Oh behalf of the President of the United States...."

My drum corps military bearing really comes in helpful here, and I have Vanguard to thank for that. 

400797789_6709298342521352_4350288322269205649_n

and thank you for your service. i've had one of those flags handed to me....very sobering.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard Lesher said:

As a reservist for me it's not like that. I am doing funerals for Korea and Vietnam era veterans (sometimes WW2). 

If someone passes while on active duty they get the whole 9 yards. 

If someone  some decades later after they were in passes, and next of kin wants gramps to have military honors then I'm that guy. 

So yea, I'm lucky, I'm not passing a flag to a bereaving parent of a 20 something. I'm passing it to a 50 year old child of the deceased. 

What happens is the funeral director will ask the family if the deceased was a veteran and then the funeral director takes care of the rest, and my team and I show up. 

That said............ I was furious once, as the funeral home CHARGED for the flag, when in reality they are supplied for free from the Post Office (with proof of service and death certificate). 

Father in law passed and his buddy from the local VFW asked the older daughter if she wanted military honors. She said yes but the guy didn’t explain the ceremony to her. Came time to hand her the flag she just sat there with a shocked look on her face. Felt sorry for her as I knew it was going to happen.

Then there was my dad (Korea vet) who hardly discussed his service time. We asked if he wanted military honors when it was his time. “You do and I’ll come back and haunt your ###”. “Ok we will take that as a no”. However we had the local American Legion include his name in their annual Post Everlasting ceremony 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

After posting a few rants I scurried off to one of my additional duties as an Army Reservist, and lead a Military Honor Funeral Detail for a passed veteran.

I do about one of these a week. I have another one tomorrow. I suspect there is a crunch to have these services before the holidays, followed by a lull half way through December, and then slammed again in January. 

I'm that guy that hands the flag to next of kin, and says: "Oh behalf of the President of the United States...."

My drum corps military bearing really comes in helpful here, and I have Vanguard to thank for that. 

As a member of Bugles Across America, I regularly sound Taps at military services in the SF Bay Area and beyond. I look at it as an extension of my Drum Corps and military service backgrounds and a way to honor my late father, a WWII Infantryman, and his comrades who, when they returned, devoted so much of their energy to promoting this activity we cherish.

• Like 5

Just now, ironlips said:

As a member of Bugles Across America, I regularly sound Taps at military services in the SF Bay Area and beyond. I look at it as an extension of my Drum Corps and military service backgrounds and a way to honor my late father, a WWII Infantryman, and his comrades who, when they returned, devoted so much of their energy to promoting this activity we cherish.

That is great Frank! Just today, we buried my brother-in-law at a military cemetery in NJ. The Reservist, who did an overall great job with the ceremony, just held a bugle to his lips in the back of the chapel, and a recording played Taps. Two young Air Force gals performed a flag ceremony; they did a great job.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

Do you have Patriot Guard Riders attend and stand the flag line?

https://patriotguard.org/

https://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/

Edited by TOC

45 minutes ago, MikeD said:

That is great Frank! Just today, we buried my brother-in-law at a military cemetery in NJ. The Reservist, who did an overall great job with the ceremony, just held a bugle to his lips in the back of the chapel, and a recording played Taps. Two young Air Force gals performed a flag ceremony; they did a great job.

My condolences. Sorry for your loss.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

knowing no organization wants any of your performing groups would be a sign what you're doing isn't working no?

I am not aware of all the details (not talking about the short version with no nuance about it) that led to the demise of Pioneers. 

However, nowadays when the crowd go against you, there is no way you can have any valuable defense. 

I’ve known the man for almost 30 years and every contact I had over the years, was genuine, generous and helping each other. 

What has seem to go wrong never happen in front of me. I was not privy to it and I only red short resume of things that look horrible and to which I could never hear the other side. 

let’s leave it at that.