Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

6 hours ago, olddrummer34 said:

I am just creating an account to tell the 3-4 of you that continually post about NOTHING in the thread to PLEASE STOP. Take your grievances to your DMs and let the rest of us talk about the 2024 corps. 

This is about the 2024 corps … or the hypothetical 2024 corps

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Well it has been working very well for quite a while now.  I liken it to an aircraft carrier crew.  Many hands creates focused execution.  No one is overburdened.  Smaller teams can work on specific tasks.  There is a leadership that manages the BOD well and all folks contribute.  Members change often enough to keep ideas and energy fresh.  And best of all, they fully support the staff.  

Honest question: 

If you take out the 4-5 most proeminent leader of the board (because they’ve been there more than 6 years), would the board still function as well as now?  How this would affect the fonctionning of the org? 

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Honest question: 

If you take out the 4-5 most proeminent leader of the board (because they’ve been there more than 6 years), would the board still function as well as now?  How this would affect the fonctionning of the org? 

There wouldn’t be any term limit removal.  BOD members are invited to join and can decline or join and can stay until they no longer wish to.  Most BoD members are peers, and no one,  or few are “pre-eminent” per se’.  The BoD structure has been in place for years now and functions well and is built for the long term.  There are many alumni and supporters who have helped the corps throughout the years who are willing to do what is needed to keep it running as the history of survival shows.  Maybe corps with smaller boards need to look inward to restructure themselves by seriously considering what their long term plans should be.  BoD’s must be structured to ensure all members are committed to be aware of their purpose, their mission and be watchdogs of each others performance and contributions as a BoD member. A mix of skills, personalities, selflessness,  a love of their corps AND drum corps is critical to success.  Check your ego at the door.  Just my opinion.  Having a history of surviving has helped too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

There wouldn’t be any term limit removal.  BOD members are invited to join and can decline or join and can stay until they no longer wish to.  Most BoD members are peers, and no one,  or few are “pre-eminent” per se’.  The BoD structure has been in place for years now and functions well and is built for the long term.  There are many alumni and supporters who have helped the corps throughout the years who are willing to do what is needed to keep it running as the history of survival shows.  Maybe corps with smaller boards need to look inward to restructure themselves by seriously considering what their long term plans should be.  BoD’s must be structured to ensure all members are committed to be aware of their purpose, their mission and be watchdogs of each others performance and contributions as a BoD member. A mix of skills, personalities, selflessness,  a love of their corps AND drum corps is critical to success.  Check your ego at the door.  Just my opinion.  Having a history of surviving has helped too.

I am so in line with everything you just wrote. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

It is not clear to me why a productive, willing great board member should be replace after 6 years. 

I have been doing drum corps for 40+ years now and while being smart and passionate, I still don’t half of what is needed to be successful. I see board members that after 6 years (those few that stay that long), only have a limited knowledge on a very specific task that are invested in. 

I understand that everyone wants a mechanism to expels the bad guys. But why would you expelled the one who make it work?

complacency. stuck in the "this is the way we always did it" mindset, which in a continuously changing world can be deadly.

the key is to stagger the elections so it's not everyone all at the same time. 2/3 years off can do some people wonders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Honest question: 

you stagger the elections so it's not everyone at one time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Their model is a fundraising board, not a mom and pop operations board. More interested parties who want to go be evangelists and raise money for them, more power to them. They don't have Bingo; they need to fundraise through personal connections and good for them on that. If BD and SCV didn't have their cash cows based on old heads spending their Social Security money on the lowest grade form of gambling imaginable, they'd need bigger boards too. 

I think I’m going to have to disagree here.  Lotto is the lowest grade form of gambling vs bingo IMO. I play lotto every week.. those snowbirds at bingo have much better odds than I do.  😂😉

• Haha 6

50 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think I’m going to have to disagree here.  Lotto is the lowest grade form of gambling vs bingo IMO. I play lotto every week.. those snowbirds at bingo have much better odds than I do.  😂😉

Ok, to clarify, with the odds in Lotto being what they are, I don't consider it "gambling" so much as "guaranteed losing." 😂

• Haha 5