Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

26 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Ok, to clarify, with the odds in Lotto being what they are, I don't consider it "gambling" so much as "guaranteed losing." 😂

There is a several hundred times higher probability that the asteroid Apophis will hit Earth in 2036 than winning powerball lottery.   

That said ‘Apophis’ could make for an interesting show theme. 

• Haha 3

Where would Keno fit within this?  I mean, you can see people just standing around in 7-11 throwing money into Keno slips and watching the number come up.  

• Like 1

On topic: what happens to SCV if they don’t get their paperwork together? Other than not being non-profit and (I believe) taxable on income.

Off topic: I need some of Terri’s cards. I only have my “No I Will Not Fix Your Computer” t shirt 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

On topic: what happens to SCV if they don’t get their paperwork together? Other than not being non-profit and (I believe) taxable on income.

Off topic: I need some of Terri’s cards. I only have my “No I Will Not Fix Your Computer” t shirt 

Well, from the looks of it, no one cares what SCV does. Not anyone with enforcement authority.

The DOJ continues on it's time line, and SCV is currently on a trajectory to be delisted as a Non-Profit. This effectively will disqualify them from operating Bingo. From there all other things collapse. 

The latest DOJ notice is dated 16-NOV, with a warning the Tax Board will be notified to remove SCV as a nonprofit. 

At the end of 60~ days should follow a notification with "Intent to Revoke" nonprofit status, and then another 60~ days to response. 

Should those notices go unheeded then a notification of "Cease and Desist" will be issued, and it is at this point that's that. 

So 4-6 months from 16-November is when that should unfold. 

One needs to consider from the DOJ's perspective they will take into account the totality of the circumstances that started the persistent delinquency going back to 2020. The most heavy of those circumstances being the organization has millions of dollars available to it through Bingo sources. So why is the most basic of compliance, and annual registration so difficult despite having millions of dollars available  to it? 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

We have been told there are contingencies for contingencies. I would hope so.

But I'd also like to know what scenarios they're strategizing for. I'm sure we'll find out when pigs fly, although transparency here, too, would go a long way.

I just... don't want any of those scenarios to include members getting the short end of the stick somehow. 😞 I know many here have expressed the same desire. I trust the org knows it has some pretty serious, critical eyes on it now, which is what should happen when a nonprofit is behaving like VMAPA has.

Shhhh, don't tell the MMs this but, erm, they have all the power here to hold VMAPA accountable. Demand transparency as the primary member-customers. That'll go further than anything most of us do or say here. And, coming from members, you know their intention is more honest: they just want to march in a safe, sustainable, healthy environment and be the Vanguard. Welp, if that's so, then demand it. Others of us will back them up. Guaranteed.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

Well, from the looks of it, no one cares what SCV does. Not anyone with enforcement authority.

The DOJ continues on it's time line, and SCV is currently on a trajectory to be delisted as a Non-Profit. This effectively will disqualify them from operating Bingo. From there all other things collapse. 

The latest DOJ notice is dated 16-NOV, with a warning the Tax Board will be notified to remove SCV as a nonprofit. 

At the end of 60~ days should follow a notification with "Intent to Revoke" nonprofit status, and then another 60~ days to response. 

Should those notices go unheeded then a notification of "Cease and Desist" will be issued, and it is at this point that's that. 

So 4-6 months from 16-November is when that should unfold. 

One needs to consider from the DOJ's perspective they will take into account the totality of the circumstances that started the persistent delinquency going back to 2020. The most heavy of those circumstances being the organization has millions of dollars available to it through Bingo sources. So why is the most basic of compliance, and annual registration so difficult despite having millions of dollars available  to it? 

Thanks, so basically kills Bingo… which months ago the BoD thought of running another night to make up the money shortfall.

And 4-6 months from 11/23 possibly. IOW start of the season 😱

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And 4-6 months from 11/23 possibly. IOW start of the season 😱

Well......... physically............. nothing is stopping a bunch of people from getting on busses and touring around the country with instruments and marching around on a football field until they run out of money lord knows where. It wont be the first time that has happened, and apparently, that almost happened to SCV in 2022. 

I totally see a scenario where the bingo plug is pulled, the delay of that information is a month or so to the rest of us and SCV decides to go on the road anyway with whatever they have in financial resources. 

I presume (wild guess) they could take a line of credit against the Bingo Hall which is worth several million as a parking lot alone. 

The priority is image.

Legal compliance is a distraction.