Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Pfff, I hope they do! Competent ones with nonprofit expertise, ideally.

well given the last 4 years.......

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Cainan said:

Your pattern of posting seems as if you have some glee in the demise of the activity. Plenty of other hobby pursuits out there my friend...

No not at all! Spent 40 plus years in the activity.  If you haven't noticed the activity is dying and there are only a few corps left who can afford to tour. I find NO joy in this BUT it is what it is!

6 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

The ONLY new person running SCV is the CEO, the CFO herself has been there since 2016, and was the treasurer at the time the delinquency started, the board President at the time SCV defaulted on loans and closed down the corps, and the CFO as SCV continued to receive elevated DOJ notifications. 

At every point along the history of failure she has had 100% oversight of finances. 

The CEO is neither the final authority for SCV policy, nor compliance, and does not have the authority to remove the CFO. 

This may have been answered in one of your earlier posts. (And I do read them. I'm not jumping to the end without having followed the thread all along.)

Doesn't the organization use outside accounting services, or at least a bookkeeper? Or are they paying a staff member to do basic receivables, payables, and member collections?

There are online platforms for accounting and membership services that simplify much of this.

16 hours ago, mjoakes said:

This may have been answered in one of your earlier posts. (And I do read them. I'm not jumping to the end without having followed the thread all along.)

Doesn't the organization use outside accounting services, or at least a bookkeeper? Or are they paying a staff member to do basic receivables, payables, and member collections?

There are online platforms for accounting and membership services that simplify much of this.

You didn't ask me but...

Both alum commentary here and the CEO recently have expressed that an accounting software switch was, in part, to blame for this fiasco. Personnel changes too. And the pandemic. But I'm pretty sure they have accounting software.

Now, who's handling what on finances has been part of my concern this whole time... as we have two different signatures on the last two forms submitted to the DOJ. But, only insiders know more about that atm I think.

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

You didn't ask me but...

Both alum commentary here and the CEO recently have expressed that an accounting software switch was, in part, to blame for this fiasco. Personnel changes too. And the pandemic. But I'm pretty sure they have accounting software.

Now, who's handling what on finances has been part of my concern this whole time... as we have two different signatures on the last two forms submitted to the DOJ. But, only insiders know more about that atm I think.

I take it that ‘atm ’ in your last sentence doesn’t refer to automatic teller machine?  Or is it a hint of what some of us fear is going on?

39 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I take it that ‘atm ’ in your last sentence doesn’t refer to automatic teller machine?  Or is it a hint of what some of us fear is going on?

Edit to add: it's just shorthand for "at this moment"

Oh, I wasn't alluding to anything cause I don't know much insider info on the finances. Just meant to imply that maybe in some distant magical time in the future, leadership will explain in more detail, and transparently:

how we got here (software and personnel changes/pandemic are understandable but that doesn't explain 3 years of noncompliance)

what's being done to ensure it doesn't happen again and

who is being held accountable for those mistakes (and how)

All things not happening transparently atm. If potential members are showing hesitancy, as some are rumoring, then that's an indicator that trust needs some rebuilding. These are some ways to do that with the whole community.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I honestly can't attest to why they have the problems they have. They DID have a bookkeeper from an outside firm. Apparently that stopped. 

I'm not buying their explanation. They had been using Quick Books forever, how changing to a different software all the sudden prevents them from tracking finances for 5 years is pretty concerning. Right?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Sounds a bit like the dog ate my homework. 

Yeah, the old “accounting software update” excuse. I have a secret:  it’s not the software’s fault. It’s the user who doesn’t understand how to use it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah, the old “accounting software update” excuse. I have a secret:  it’s not the software’s fault. It’s the user who doesn’t understand how to use it

And I've lamented high turnover in admin before. That may explain why some board members stick around beyond best-practices term limits... crucially, long term board members may be how they maintain any institutional memory. But board memory is not operational memory...

This is how I maintain my empathy where other alum may not.