Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

9 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Yeah, I had the same experience. My comment is more about the current staff, admin, and board. I'm happy you've seen signs of this returning, but it's been at least a decade since I've seen the same.

I'm incredibly relieved to hear you did too.

The alum who gave me my replacement stars a few years back worked there for much of the previous decade after they aged out. They and others behind the scenes are still passing along the good lessons. Like keeping Clowns alive surreptitiously in 93. It's still there, just quiet and somewhat defiant. And I still believe young members get it even if through osmosis.

But that alum also said what you and I commiserate about here all too often: not only do admin/staff/empowered alum push alum away, they push some of the best of us away. I count the previously-mentioned alum as one of them. Forget rabblerousers like you, me, and RL... there are numerous other examples of way more beloved and dedicated alum who get shoved away.

That needs to be at the heart of reconciliation. The ROI on such efforts could be astronomical.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

we'll agree to disagree because, to be brutally honest, 99% of the leg work showing SCV's inability to manage their affairs has been show by Richard. maybe his style may turn some off.....don't shoot the messenger. and trust me, i can and have been an insufferable ######## on here over the years and probably will be again. My inability to shut my mouth has cost me gigs in the activity, and so be it. i have my integrity

Shooting the messenger happens a lot in drum corps.  Stuart Rice was sounding the alarm on you know who for twenty years and everybody said he was crazy.  Which he may have been but he was right about that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Shooting the messenger happens a lot in drum corps.  Stuart Rice was sounding the alarm on you know who for twenty years and everybody said he was crazy.  Which he may have been but he was right about that. 

Sometimes the crazy people have the keenest senses for routing out problems other people can't see.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Sometimes the crazy people have the keenest senses for routing out problems other people can't see.

Substituting crazy for survivor here to say that this is why I push for reconciliation, albeit imperfectly.  Bc survivors are the most equipped to provide durable, appropriate solutions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh i  am sure anything public that comes out of the Januals will be white washed in PR terms. 

Why do you keep bringing up Regiment on this subject? They have nothing to do with this one.

:dancin:

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Substituting crazy for survivor here to say that this is why I push for reconciliation, albeit imperfectly.  Bc survivors are the most equipped to provide durable, appropriate solutions.

Oh I agree, but the last time I used the word trauma here people accused me of not being able to handle tough instruction, lol.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Oh I agree, but the last time I used the word trauma here people accused me of not being able to handle tough instruction, lol.

I get enough of that from alum who try to tell me, "well, didn't we all sign up for Vanguard to do something difficult?"

The line between hard work and abuse is, in part, defined by those alum still grappling with the adverse effects of the latter. It's definitely not defined by those who refuse to acknowledge it openly. And there are more struggling alum than most other alum are willing to accept, let alone be in supportive dialogue with.

I'm just up in here trying to prevent that number of alum from growing in 2024. We've failed over the last 5 years.

53 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Heck, even She Who Must Never Be Named was making accusations on RAMD about member abuse that at the time was ignored, likely because of the messenger.  I don’t recall details well enough to state, but I remember it happened.  😕

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Isn’t it a DCI rule that member Corps must be a tax-exempt nonprofit organization?  

Not that DCI hasn’t bent the rules for SCV in the past (1989 cough cough wink wink nudge nudge)…

No idea on this rule… or any rule for that matter. Just a reminder that DCI can do what it wants… but if the state does anything that kills the bingo income 🥲

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Problem I had with Rices RAMD posts was it turned into “something happened somewhere, some time with somebody and someone (else) should do something about it”. IOW he knew or heard the details but didn’t go (or quit going) to the authorities. So one of us should report (with no information). Note: I missed early posts as was a later arrived to RAMD.

Kicker was a Reddit poster claiming RAMD posters had a conspiracy by not reporting. Tried to explain Rice gave us nothing reportable but gave up. That poster was later banned by Reddit…

Edited by JimF-LowBari