VMAPA Board of Directors welcomes Rob Schiller, as newly elected Board Treasurer and Finance Committee Chair.

VMAPA Board of Directors welcomes Rob Schiller, as newly elected Board Treasurer and Finance Committee Chair. Since 2004, Rob has worked for the North Carolina Symphony as their Senior Vice President and CFO and prior to that as the Manager of Budget and Finance for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Since joining the board a year […]

View the full article

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

How difficult is it to be Treasurer & Finance Committee chair 2,700 plus miles from Santa Clara?  And how does this position differ from a CEO?

ps - I suppose there is precedent at SCV for remote work as it is my understanding that the bingo manager lives in Hawaii.  

Work from Anywhere is practically a norm in finance anymore.  My sister is an accountant with a large firm and they finally started making her come into work three days a week again mostly because they need to justify the cost of the office building.  Almost all her work is done from the office with those in other locations.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Work from Anywhere is practically a norm in finance anymore.  My sister is an accountant with a large firm and they finally started making her come into work three days a week again mostly because they need to justify the cost of the office building.  Almost all her work is done from the office with those in other locations.

Ok thanks.   I then suppose that this position is more involved with how the $ are tracked & spent once they come into the bank account, rather than interacting with the CA donor community.

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ok thanks.   I then suppose that this position is more involved with how the $ are tracked & spent once they come into the bank account, rather than interacting with the CA donor community.

I've never gotten the sense bolded is a thing at Vanguard cause they have bingo. But if it were, it would probably fall under a different role, say other board member/s, development director, or even CEO.

To your larger point though, many alum rightly or wrongly lament staffers in major roles working remotely. CEO, CFO and corps director are also remote AFAIK, prolly more. Alum are historically territorial and the corps hall is a major asset so they want trusted ppl present and watching over it. Practically speaking, in a remote situation, who is physically signing and handling physical paperwork and business with local banks (or, eep, the audit?) Is this as simple as lower level admin in town? Do they have competencies to do so?

I'm all for remote work and believe that diversifies staff talent pools. But it's not just a simple flip of the switch and poof it's highly functional. There's strategy to it.

New treasurer has loads of nonprofit arts exp. Finally! Just curious what happened to the last one, esp during such a vulnerable, crucial time.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I've never gotten the sense bolded is a thing at Vanguard cause they have bingo. But if it were, it would probably fall under a different role, say other board member/s, development director, or even CEO.

To your larger point though, many alum rightly or wrongly lament staffers in major roles working remotely. CEO, CFO and corps director are also remote AFAIK, prolly more. Alum are historically territorial and the corps hall is a major asset so they want trusted ppl present and watching over it. Practically speaking, in a remote situation, who is physically signing and handling physical paperwork and business with local banks (or, eep, the audit?) Is this as simple as lower level admin in town? Do they have competencies to do so?

I'm all for remote work and believe that diversifies staff talent pools. But it's not just a simple flip of the switch and poof it's highly functional. There's strategy to it.

New treasurer has loads of nonprofit arts exp. Finally! Just curious what happened to the last one, esp during such a vulnerable, crucial time.

Perhaps the new, transparenter SCV 2.0 could take the opportunity to make inroads to the relevant nonprofit arts community with an eye toward diversification of revenue streams.  I’m no business expert, but it would seem to me that more revenue streams are better.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Treasure of the board DOES NOT equal CFO of the organization. He is on the board for checks and balances from the day to day staff. BIG DIFFERENCE. The CFO/Controller/Director of Finance, who reports to the CEO, has a dotted line of presenting financial reports to the board. 

Two different positions, as someone mentioned above, the finance world is all digitized at this point, coming to an actual building to the work, is the same as working from home. 

Now, to your otherstatement of talking to donors and being involved, I do find it interesting that the corps director lives in Florida, and not at all connected to California, but Russ Gavin should be the "face" and "shaking hands" in the community where he does live in california. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3