19 Sep SCV Meeting Summary on Reddit

42 minutes ago, craiga said:

Yes, it would mean they would be the first World Class corps on in every show until San Antonio, and no appearance fees all summer. Also, they will not have a vote. Basically, they would be classified as a first year corps.

SCV did not lose their membership status because they did not participate in 2023.  All the membership requirements where changed in 2020 because of Covid. They will receive appearance fees just like all member corps.  They do have to pick last when selecting what shows they want to be in.  Mandarins have made it known that they want to be at more of  the big shows (Broken Arrow, Murfreesboro, Atlanta and Winston Salem)  so don't expect to  see SCV at any of those shows.   Yes they should be the first world class corps to perform at shows unless deals are cut with other corps.   They are still a voting member.  Everyone has to wait until September meeting to sort out everything.

Edited by dcifanforlife
typing error
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

Rob Schiller states VMAPA has 600k in savings for running services. They have been given forgiveness for their loans.

Russ Gavin further affirms that VMAPA will be in compliance by the end of year.

Two questions arise from the above quote:

1) Assuming this is true, why not return in 2025 when they are compliant instead of rushing back while in a state of noncompliance?

2) Which loans? From whom? Were any loans from taxpayers via COVID funds?

They still get souvie sales existing and if they do parades and such can also make more there. Once they are non profit again they can accept the donations. If the model says they can tour financially and not go bankrupt then it's good to go. I'm sure financial analysis have been ran over and over to make sure it's feasible. 

2 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

SCV did not lose their membership status because they did not participate in 2013.  All the membership requirements where changed in 2020 because of Covid. They will receive appearance fees just like all member corps.  They do have to pick last when selecting what shows they want to be in.  Mandarins have made it known that they want to be at more of  the big shows (Broken Arrow, Murfreesboro, Atlanta and Winston Salem)  so don't expect to  see SCV at any of those shows.   Yes they should be the first world class corps to perform at shows unless deals are cut with other corps.   They are still a voting member.  Everyone has to wait until September meeting to sort out everything.

Two clarifications on bolded text, as reported by new CEO, and as far as I understood and documented in my notes.

They will be observing a revenue share loss from appearance fees.

They are not a voting member.

14 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

From last night, Rob Schiller said:

SBA granted them forgiveness for their PPP loans.

They're still looking into the Shuttered Venues Grant, as well as a ERTC refund from the IRS (to rebuild their reserve.)

Shouldn’t they rebuild their reserve before loading 160 members plus support entourage onto a convoy of vehicles & haul them all over the country?   

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Posted too soon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Shouldn’t they rebuild their reserve before loading 160 members plus support entourage onto a convoy of vehicles & haul them all over the country?   Esp as they apparently don’t get appearance fees in the 2024 season?   

giphy-downsized.gif

New CEO said in so many words that they have back up plans for their back up plans but that plan A is solid and they're very optimistic it will work.

And they get appearance fees as far as I can tell. He just explained it's a "revenue share loss" as a non member corps.

I want to believe in their plans so bad. But I can't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Two clarifications on bolded text, as reported by new CEO, and as far as I understood and documented in my notes.

They will be observing a revenue share loss from appearance fees.

They are not a voting member.

Yes they will see a revenue loss from appearance fees since the amount that they will receive will  be considerably less than when they were a top four corps.   I don't think that  they have lost voting status but I could be wrong we will see.

14 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

They still get souvie sales existing and if they do parades and such can also make more there. Once they are non profit again they can accept the donations. If the model says they can tour financially and not go bankrupt then it's good to go. I'm sure financial analysis have been ran over and over to make sure it's feasible. 

Do they get souvie sales revenue if they are a non-profit entity in a state of non-compliance with the State of CA? Just asking what they are and are not allowed to collect if they are not technically shown as compliant with all state regulations?

1 minute ago, dcifanforlife said:

Yes they will see a revenue loss from appearance fees since the amount that they will receive will  be considerably less than when they were a top four corps.   I don't think that  they have lost voting status but I could be wrong we will see.

I'm reporting out the CEO said they are a nonvoting member in DCI. So if this isn't true then he stated otherwise. That's a note that's clear as day.

He also said that other than performing earlier in the day before SA, the members shouldn't experience any change from being member to nonmember. I think that aspect, performing earlier, is actually humbling, and a good thing overall for the organization.

Just now, wolfgang said:

Do they get souvie sales revenue if they are a non-profit entity in a state of non-compliance with the State of CA? Just asking what they are and are not allowed to collect if they are not technically shown as compliant with all state regulations?

AFAIK souvie sales aren't donations so that's within compliance. That is, if you don't read the DOJ letters to a T, some of which indicate that operating at all is out of compliance. That doesn't seem to be how most are reading them.

But souvies/merch aren't really money makers, esp since they're going through a 3rd party vendor. You still have to purchase (or the vendor has to purchase) raw materials and spend the money to apply designs. No pro in nonprofit looks at merch as a money maker. It should be classified as free marketing on the bodies of those who purchase merch.