Madison Scouts Welcome Mark Waymire to Lead Design Team

18 hours ago, madmooffan said:

I did, that’s why I’m returning for a third season. I just hate ending every year with a handful of regrets.

• What regrets? You all did the best you could with the product you had. There was nothing more you could do. 
Edited by Vuitton

On 10/5/2023 at 6:57 PM, DCP NewsFeed said:

The Madison Scouts are pleased to welcome Mark Waymire as program coordinator and announce the 2024 design team including Jeremy Hunt (visual designer & coordinator), Chad Berkstresser (visual designer & coordinator), K.J. Stafford (music supervisor), Scott Boerma (brass arranger/composer), Matt Hahn (front ensemble arranger), Ryan Ellis (battery arranger), Tim Mitchell (electronics design), and Tykeem Rainey […]

View the full article

Good.  
I hope that they put together a program as exciting and memorable as their 1995 program.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vuitton said:
  • What regrets? You all did the best you could with the product you had. There was nothing more you could do. 

I’d agree with that for 22, but I believe J. Robb’s 23 production had a lot more life in it than we gave it. We were just plagued by injury all throughout the season due to poor off-season prep and that ruined any chance for us to really do meaningful cleaning of the show. We’d clean drill with 10 holes, then 3 people would come back in having not marched in weeks and it would end up dirtier than when it started. This year I believe they intend on getting one of those marching health guys to do a required off season fitness course for us, which I hope will prevent a repeat of that.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, madmooffan said:

I’d agree with that for 22, but I believe J. Robb’s 23 production had a lot more life in it than we gave it. We were just plagued by injury all throughout the season due to poor off-season prep and that ruined any chance for us to really do meaningful cleaning of the show. We’d clean drill with 10 holes, then 3 people would come back in having not marched in weeks and it would end up dirtier than when it started. This year I believe they intend on getting one of those marching health guys to do a required off season fitness course for us, which I hope will prevent a repeat of that.

Y'all sounded great! Awesome brass & percussion both with strong books.  Just need some great design & strengthen the guard?  But the live performances that I got to see were intense.  Y'all received a standing O at both prelims & semis!  Have a great season & I'll see you in 2024!

P.S. That's from a semi-retired band director with (2) former students that marched Madison as well as several of my college buddies.   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, madmooffan said:

Disappointing to learn about the lack of off season physical prep or rather guidance from the staff regarding physical prep.  Some would say there is an expectation for mm’s to manage themselves,  but specific guidance should be provided to mm’s,  that is aligned to potential movement requirements.  That is def. on the drill & choreo staff. 
What is provided for mm’s during the season with regard to physical health and injury?  Does A doctor travel with the corps?  PT’s? With the movement requirements in all corps, I got wondering what corps do for physical health and safety for mm’s.  I am guessing there is a good deal of variance between corps.  How does Madison manage it?

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Disappointing to learn about the lack of off season physical prep or rather guidance from the staff regarding physical prep.  Some would say there is an expectation for mm’s to manage themselves,  but specific guidance should be provided to mm’s,  that is aligned to potential movement requirements.  That is def. on the drill & choreo staff. 
What is provided for mm’s during the season with regard to physical health and injury?  Does A doctor travel with the corps?  PT’s? With the movement requirements in all corps, I got wondering what corps do for physical health and safety for mm’s.  I am guessing there is a good deal of variance between corps.  How does Madison manage it?

Sounds to me like, as the Corps was younger, likely with a fair percentage of rookies, there may have been some who didn’t realize how physically demanding Drum Corps can be.  Hopefully this will be emphasized during auditions & camps

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
More better English
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

We had two incredible PTs, headed by a PT who returned from the 22 season, Dylan Lynch. Wonderful guy, did his best to keep people cared for. The killer injury for us last year was concussions, we had more than a dozen, maybe more than 2. The concussion protocol put into place by Dylan and the corps was great and helped get people recovered and back on the field after concussions, even on tour. There was just way too many of them. Not sure who our PTs will be next year, but I hope they’re as good as the past two years. Funny story: we had one of our trombone soloist’s moms come in for a day or two when Dylan left. 

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Sounds to me like, as the Corps was younger, likely with a fair percentage of rookies, there may have been some who didn’t realize how physically demanded Drum Corps can be.  Hopefully this will be there emphasized during auditions & camps

It was a younger corps, and I think many did not understand the rigor of the activity enough to prep themselves properly beforehand. This year will likely be a younger corps as well, but I believe staff, after how the last season went, will probably make it much more clear the importance of off-season physical preparation. Even if someone doesn’t care at all despite that, there’s going to be required workout assignments. They’ll at least be doing that, at the bare minimum.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2023 at 1:55 PM, HockeyDad said:

So much for that argument that placements don’t matter because all that matters is the kids are having fun. 

Maybe I'm confused....I hope that's the case.

Both quality of the performance you put out there, quality of the learning experience AND having fun matters. Did the OP mention placement? If placement is all that mattered, we would only have a top 3.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Maybe I'm confused....I hope that's the case.

Both quality of the performance you put out there, quality of the learning experience AND having fun matters. Did the OP mention placement? If placement is all that mattered, we would only have a top 3.

Certainty you’ve followed the Madison Scouts thread, right?  On that thread the BOD apologists like to say, in an attempt to dismiss the poor placement year after year, that the kids are having fun, and that’s all that matters. That’s what I’m referring to. I thought it would be obvious. No one said it on this thread. My bad. 

• Like 1