Maybe What is Needed....

27 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Not really. It just covers your butt against false accusations of wrongdoing. 

That's it really.  It's not a requirement or anything, but it's definitely a common courtesy in my profession to help out a teacher next door or whatever if they ask you to be present while they talk with an individual student about something.  It's not necessary very often, but it is a standard procedure for me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

That's it really.  It's not a requirement or anything, but it's definitely a common courtesy in my profession to help out a teacher next door or whatever if they ask you to be present while they talk with an individual student about something.  It's not necessary very often, but it is a standard procedure for me.  

I definitely didn't learn the terms "SOP" or "change management" (as discussed in the SoA thread and this thread) until I left the nonprofit and higher ed industries after 12 years. I strongly believe that the scarcity mentality in nonprofit drum corps prevents most if not all of them from even wading into waters that would require such terminology.

That said, it's the law at this point for NGBs and non-NGB organizations to require that any adult be accompanied by another adult when having a "one-on-one" discussion with a minor aged member. The Safe Sport Act requires it. Now, it's still best practice to do this with the "adult" age members in drum corps for obvious reasons, and I think they're getting better at implementing this, but it's difficult to tell. It's been the law for minors in amateur sports since 2017.

Old habits die hard.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
corrected citation
  • Like 2

When I use "standard procedure", it's not official terminology for public school teachers or anything. I use terms like that without even thinking of it because of my military background probably. 

For me, it's just common sense to protect myself in case a kid were to lie which can and does happen.  Most of us do treat it as a mandate, and I'd be fine if it actually became one for us.  How on earth any corps wouldn't address this by now is beyond me.  

It's becoming clear to me that a lawsuit like the one that's happening with SOA is the only thing that might change old habits in this activity.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Brilliant!!! We shall call them “chaperones”.  😂  Believe me, I’ve had some former band parents that would keep every one in line. Some of them scared me… 

some wouldn't pass the background checks. some cant afford the time away from the real world to ride on a bus....thats why corps are always begging for volunteers.

for a few years i was part of an all star project that participated in a major Thanksgiving parade in the region. we were begging for adult help, both within the judging association and parents that had clearances. i ended up walking the halls one year during the night, despite having run rehearsal the night before and having to help lead the group down the street. i do believe that day tested how much coffee i really could drink.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I definitely didn't learn the terms "SOP" or "change management" (as discussed in the SoA thread and this thread) until I left the nonprofit and higher ed industries after 12 years. I strongly believe that the scarcity mentality in nonprofit drum corps prevents most if not all of them from even wading into waters that would require such terminology.

That said, it's the law at this point for NGBs and non-NGB organizations to require that any adult be accompanied by another adult when having a "one-on-one" discussion with a minor aged member. The Safe Sport Act requires it. Now, it's still best practice to do this with the "adult" age members in drum corps for obvious reasons, and I think they're getting better at implementing this, but it's difficult to tell. It's been the law for minors in amateur sports since 2017.

Old habits die hard.

even employers require a second person involved in many cases. it covers all bases.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lance said:

When I use "standard procedure", it's not official terminology for public school teachers or anything. I use terms like that without even thinking of it because of my military background probably. 

For me, it's just common sense to protect myself in case a kid were to lie which can and does happen.  Most of us do treat it as a mandate, and I'd be fine if it actually became one for us.  How on earth any corps wouldn't address this by now is beyond me.  

It's becoming clear to me that a lawsuit like the one that's happening with SOA is the only thing that might change old habits in this activity.

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

even employers require a second person involved in many cases. it covers all bases.

Yeah I think it's the "covers all bases" part that I'm leaning towards. Indeed there's CYA involved, but when both adult parties (and ideally, the member) know the SOP/law, then it's more difficult to get away with not following it. AKA informed consent.

Say I need to address a member about inappropriate behavior that they perpetuated against another member. When I bring someone with me who I know knows and follows the SOP/law to a t (because they signed on the dotted line saying so), I'm significantly less inclined to cut corners during that conversation. That verifiable signature on the dotted line is what's required by the Safe Sport Act (again of amateur sports involving minors only at this point.)

But then, I'm getting wind of how SOPs can be turned against adult/staff whistleblowers too. In one anonymized-as-possible example, the violators on staff reportedly turn around and gaslight the whistleblower by accusing them of the very violations the org is perpetuating. They then concretize it on HR-like paperwork and leverage it for covert retaliation until that whistleblower eventually gives up and resigns. (All adults in this example.) Indeed, the culture is entrenched, all with the goal of protecting itself from true accountability... one might deduce from these types of examples anyway. If they're doing this to each other as fellow adults, what have they gotten away with when there's such a strong power differential between members and staff?

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Agree that it is a good best-practice.  It is like a parachute- you don’t often need one, but when you do need one, you really need one.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

43 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree that it is a good best-practice.  It is like a parachute- you don’t often need one, but when you do need one, you really need one.  

Perhaps a cop's body camera would be more accurate of a metaphor? Seeing as they have been "turning them off" when they feel like it for decades.

9 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

Have DCI Hire and assign to a corps. The corps would pay the salary for the summer to include transportation, food, lodging.

You mean from November camps all the way through until August.  Oversight is a role of the governing body.