Cadets Suspend for 2024

One of my earliest memories of Cadets is singing “Amen” at the end of “I Don’t Know How to Love Him” long before singing was allowed. So many great shows, many of them groundbreaking.

I was surprised that Cadets was able to field a corps in 2018 and thought after 2019’s challenges which involved finances, leadership, and all sorts of off field issues, I did not think Cadets would survive the pandemic. I’m glad I was wrong. 2021’s exhibition and the solid shows of 2022 and 2023 made me think Cadets could survive anything. That being said, inflation is hurting non profits overall and the increased expenses of drum corps make this a very difficult time. I hope Cadets return.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hostrauser said:

DCI is broken. How much more proof do the powers that be in Indianapolis need? Two DCI champion legacy corps in two years.

Wonder if Dan saw some of these behind-the-scenes issues coming down the pike and felt it was time to exit stage right. Not right, he seems to be more of a left guy. 

4 minutes ago, Brian1313 said:

Spirit posted their own financial breakdown.

https://www.spiritofatlanta.org/financial-roadmap

2.6% on show production is accurate. Transportation cost was 22.6%

What the breakdown per.  Saying all that stuff equates to 2.6%..I don't see it considering the other verbiage.

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

The issue is simple, the cost to operate a drum corps has out-paced the revenue models that are sustainable for most orgs. Fundraising dollars are no longer enough to push 6 busses and 4 trucks down the road anymore. DCI has not done enough to contain the costs, and the writing has been on the wall for sometime now. The fact that they haven’t moved to in a direction to proactively cut costs, coupled with inflation and increases in food, fuel and housing, will make it very difficult for corps to survive another five years. This is just the beginning. To be fair, this is not solely on DCI, but they share the blame. 

The beginning off the new version of G7?

17 minutes ago, TenHut said:

No. Gas price has doubled, inflation out of control. 

Gas in May, 2011 - $3.96 a gallon
Gas in October, 2023 - $3.96 a gallon

Inflation is at 3.7%. Higher than the Fed's target, but not out of control.  None of those are the reason drum corps is more expensive now.

Biggest change in the last 10 years has to do with (ironically enough) member safety, in the form of chartered, professionally driven busses rather than volunteer or part time drivers driving old, rickety busses down the road. What was $120k for a summer in the 2010s is now a $300k expense. But what's the alternative? Go back to school busses for the weekend, staying in mom's house during the week, and eating at McDonald's on your own 2 out of 3 times a day?

The midwestern corps already have embraced the regional model for the first 3 weeks of tour.  It probably helps them keep some costs down, but it's not going to shave $500k off the summer expenses. The challenge facing the new DCI CEO and the DCI Board will be to get aggressive about finding funding outside of the activity to help offset the costs of being on the road for the corps.

In the meantime, condolences to the Cadets family on what has to feel like a really crappy night.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Gas in May, 2011 - $3.96 a gallon
Gas in October, 2023 - $3.96 a gallon

Inflation is at 3.7%. Higher than the Fed's target, but not out of control.  None of those are the reason drum corps is more expensive now.

Biggest change in the last 10 years has to do with (ironically enough) member safety, in the form of chartered, professionally driven busses rather than volunteer or part time drivers driving old, rickety busses down the road. What was $120k for a summer in the 2010s is now a $300k expense. But what's the alternative? Go back to school busses for the weekend, staying in mom's house during the week, and eating at McDonald's on your own 2 out of 3 times a day?

The midwestern corps already have embraced the regional model for the first 3 weeks of tour.  It probably helps them keep some costs down, but it's not going to shave $500k off the summer expenses. The challenge facing the new DCI CEO and the DCI Board will be to get aggressive about finding funding outside of the activity to help offset the costs of being on the road for the corps.

In the meantime, condolences to the Cadets family on what has to feel like a really crappy night.

That's not diesel.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=EMD_EPD2D_PTE_NUS_DPG&f=M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Sad.  I wish this was a wakeup call to the activity to start scaling it back.

The wake-up call has come and gone … DCI has hit the snooze alarm one time too many 

• Like 4