Cadets Suspend for 2024

1 minute ago, scout9193 said:

I guess we’re gonna have to agree to disagree on that. Props and electronics or just one piece but if you think they don’t impact “costly changes.” then you were absolutely wrong.

Again you are taking the smallest line item in the budget and saying it's the biggest problem, when the real issue is that you just don't like props and electronics and think that drum corps should be what it was 40 years ago.

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

That 2.6% includes rights fees and other ancillary costs. 

You are complaining about the smallest line item in the budget being the biggest problem. 

Incorrect. That 2.6% bleeds into other areas of a balance sheet and income statement. That 2.6% cannot be viewed in isolation.

Edited by scout9193
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What would that be in dollar amounts? 
And the old saying of: couple drops here, couple drops there.. and eventually the bucket overflows. 

Based on the most recent 990 2% of expenses is about $20k

• Thanks 1

Why does this conversation always devolve into issues about cost, and revenue is ignored? Bob Cook tried to give this lesson 40 years ago and he was ignored. There needs to be innovation in the revenue model. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Again you are taking the smallest line item in the budget and saying it's the biggest problem, when the real issue is that you just don't like props and electronics and think that drum corps should be what it was 40 years ago.

So when did this get into a mind reading discussion….

So I guess all of the potential 2024 Cadets are going to the Mandarins?  Too soon? Sorry... 

Q: Do the corps' CEOs or EDs have any kind of business background? Or do they just operate with their 'heart' with their drum corps background?  I just don't understand... 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

It's understandable to assume that a local focus means regional and local touring for your standard drum corps shows. While that's an option, it's not what I was talking about earlier. As others mention, this isn't full feasible for those corps working no where near major population centers.

I'm talking about increasing local opportunities for displaying the corps in more user-friendly ways for the vast majority of the world who doesn't know drum corps from a hole int he ground. BD does this by playing for the Sharks. SoA and Boston have fundraisers that I hear do very well in which corps play a standstill. These kinds of opportunities show off youth talent in fairly low-stakes, low-cost, and low-energy ways. Parades *gasp* might be another depending on your region. I know Santa Clara has one yearly that, if not a money maker, would help reintroduce the community to the corps in a substantial way. These kinds of opportunities would be easier met by a small but might contingency of members + alum who could perform locally at a moment's notice for sure and that would take time to rebuild, but was a serious asset in previous eras. SCV doing the Rose Bowl Parade was a stellar example.

This isn't a silver bullet by any means. But "going local/regional" doesn't have to mean sacrificing the tour model as it is or drastically changing it overnight. At it's core, this proposed solution is about reinforcing the standardized np revenue model in which nps build and maintain local/regional relationships with large institutional and individual donors by regularly displaying talent (read: value to the community) to their key stakeholders. If and only if these opportunities bring in serious revenue should the tour model be reevaluated. Otherwise, work around it.

Sorry for being tangential, Cadets community. I'm hoping this contributes in some small way to the comeback we're all hoping for. Seems like this may have been the direction y'all were headed in prior to this announcement. 😔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Based on the most recent 990 2% of expenses is about $20k

So that would be a budget of one million…. 

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

So I guess all of the potential 2024 Cadets are going to the Mandarins?  Too soon? Sorry... 

Q: do the corps' CEOs or EDs have any kind of business background? Or do they just operate with their 'heart' with their drum corps background?  I just don't understand... 

Remember the heartburn when it was announced the new DCI head didn’t have a corps background? Agree corps and DCI need to be more business savvy to survive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2