Cadets Suspend for 2024

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and they aren't all there at the same time or being paid for not being there. it's been said a zillion times, but in todays world, people just can't take the whole summer off anymore.

Having 6 more staff means we all can take time to work real jobs so we can pay rent. It also means we have to split the brass tech budget into 6 more portions. It doesn’t mean we all get the same portion.  

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Haven't read this whole thread, so this might have been mentioned already... but the Cadets losing that USBands revenue stream could not have been helpful. 

I know... Captain Obvious here. 

sadly with the craziness in 2018 that led to the demise of YEA, it had to be sold. with the corps trying to go out on it's own, they didn't have the money or infrastructure to buy the circuit or run it.

and i have heard from several people it's run FAR better under the new management

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

My brother is a mortgage originator and I have worked as a processor in the past so I get your analogy

My point is that you do not go from a 5th place corps to inactive because you have props and an extra truck. In these situations there is always something bigger and no cost cutting is going to prevent these situations in the future. 

no but everything adds up, especially as rumors abound online about some of the season killing costs having to do with transportation. 

9 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Eries sports complex didn’t meet code.  Read that again.  It means it can’t have people in it. So it’s moot. 

as someone who taught in Erie area. Erie bands are not great. It’s not the students. It’s the directors who just don’t teach fundamentals very well. 

as someone who works with a lot of non profit. Anytime you suspend operations, it means the board didn’t meet their fundraising numbers. And not by a few grand.  But by a large number. 

where was it said it didn't meet code? not doubting you, just the first i saw this anywhere

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

where was it said it didn't meet code? not doubting you, just the first i saw this anywhere

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/local/2023/06/06/erie-pa-sports-park-ordered-dome-stage-uniform-construction-code-violations-permits-summit-township/70292867007/

that building had several deficiencies and had to close starting in June until Sept while things were rectified 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/local/2023/06/06/erie-pa-sports-park-ordered-dome-stage-uniform-construction-code-violations-permits-summit-township/70292867007/

that building had several deficiencies and had to close starting in June until Sept while things were rectified 

Reading this and keeps getting worse and worse 😱

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

Eries sports complex didn’t meet code.  Read that again.  It means it can’t have people in it. So it’s moot. 

as someone who taught in Erie area. Erie bands are not great. It’s not the students. It’s the directors who just don’t teach fundamentals very well. 

as someone who works with a lot of non profit. Anytime you suspend operations, it means the board didn’t meet their fundraising numbers. And not by a few grand.  But by a large number. 

I wondered when someone would mention the problems with the management of the Erie Sports Center.  

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/erie-sports-park-reopens-dome-after-temporary-closure/

However, it would appear that the code violations have been corrected.   

Does anyone know whether it's true that Cadets are under an agreement with the Erie Sports Center that doesn't expire until 2033?

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

The rise of the VFW/AL era of drum corps began after WWII and later Korea. Those vets came home and had children. They joined their local posts and some of those posts started drum corps. By the late 60's, the post members were aging, as were their kids. Membership declined in the posts, as well as the corps, especially the small "mom and pop" corps that were the the parade corps or local level competitive corps, such as the Garden State Circuit in my area. I marched in a parade corps from 64-67 and then a GSC corps in 68-69, before joining Garfield.

I later taught in the GSC in the mid 70's and judged there mid 70's to 80'ish. The circuit was imploding all through that era. Corps would combine just to stay alive. I taught the Wayne Monarchs in 76, who merged with the Greenwood Lake Lakers mid season and became the King's Regiment for a couple of years. They eventually folded a few years later.

Times were changing. The gas crisis in the early/mid 70's...huge inflation late 70's...everything cost more. That drove sponsors away, and corps folded, leaving the relatively few that made it into the 80's. Kids were just not joining these local corps anymore. In NJ, the rise in corps-style marching band provided an alternative for the kids who used to join these corps.

The military draft devastated Junior Corps ranks in the 1960's too. Patriotism that was strong with Victory in WW2 over Imperial Japan, Nazi Germany, and Fascist Italy, in the 1940's began to wane in the 1960's with the Draft and later with disillusionment with the Vietnam War. Hundreds of Drum & Bugle Corps saw their ranks depleted by the military Draft, and Church & Veterans sponsorships evaporated.  The Country was a different country in 1970 than it was in 1960. Patriotism took a hit, and anything connected even remotely with the US Military was no longer in vogue as it had been after WW2.  With Drum Corps folding left and right in the latter part of the 1960's, the Combine's Corps Directors ( Warren, Royer, Jones, Bonfiglio ,et al,  saw their future survival now had to be with the tie ins with H.S. and College Marching Bands.They basically by 1972 had no other choice... really.  With hundreds of Corps now gone by 1972,  kids that used to march Drum Corps were finding the only marching alternative now in their community was the local marching band. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

During the majority of June 2023 The Cadets were holding Spring Training at the Erie Sports Complex and posted several photos of them using the dome. Why weren't the owners fined?

This past weekend was the Cadets Alumni weekend in North Jersey - Friday night was supposed to be a Meet and Greet with the Cadets board...was anyone there?? Would love to hear what was said and discussed that evening.