Cadets Suspend for 2024

12 minutes ago, Reggi93 said:

Again, your next question to the state of PA should be whether they differentiate what is a charity and what is a nonprofit corporation and if ALL nonprofits are charities and vice versa by their definition.

I know what a charity is per PA. 

The Solicitation of Funds for Charitable Purposes Act, 10 P.S. Section 162.1 et seq

Cadets fall under this because on their IRS 990 filings they have income amounts for Contributions and Grants in the Section I Summary and further detail of those amounts in Section VIII Revenue of their 990's.

Yes, yes, yes. I am yielding. Cadets Arts and Entertainment is properly registered as a Non Profit. 

They are again.......... not however registered as a Charity and the $1,000,000 raised on their IRS990's now comes into question as a violation of

The Solicitation of Funds for Charitable Purposes Act, 10 P.S. Section 162.1 et seq

Now, on the surface the Cadets can probably push back on $700K of that $1M, but no less than $300K of that is clearly donations that in all likelihood that were solicited and fall under

Edited by Richard Lesher

Glad the armchair PA nonprofit lawyer is here to set us straight 🙄

If you think they ####ed up the registration contact someone at the corps instead of trying to do gotchas on DCP with the laws that you yourself have admitted you aren't familiar with

• Thanks 4

Interesting that PA requires non profits to essentially double register.  I've worked with NP's in multiple states and have not come across that in any of them.  But I've never worked in PA.  However,  what I find interesting is that nowhere can I find what the penalty is for not having this BCO-10 form or BCO-23 form filed.  The closest I can find to a penalty is a warning that if you are soliciting without a BCO registry...make sure you register.  And maybe a late fee.  So at this point, unless you all sleuth out some penalty I can't find no matter how I phrase the search, my personal conclusion is that they are a legal tax exempt nonprofit entity that needs to update their BCO registration.  But I can't seem to find anything that suggests something more nefarious. 

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

We're still lost regarding public scrutiny and transparency of nonprofits in the drum corps community huh?

https://www.financestrategists.com/tax/501c3/are-501c3-financial-records-public/

And about whistleblowers just being "annoying" huh?

https://hbr.org/2018/11/research-whistleblowers-are-a-sign-of-healthy-companies

Weird. Guess it'll be a while before drum corps join the real world, in which both of the resources above exist. Big reasons here why outsiders won't invest.

Comparing whatever this whole thing is to "whistleblowing" is pretty gross

• Thanks 1

Yeah I'm still annoyed and when I'm annoyed I go off half cocked.  So I may have been incorrect in part of my assessment of the cadets accusation that Mr. Lesher is leveraging but I think my biggest issue here is the bigger question of "what's the point?"  DCP is generally a vacuum.  Nothing here makes big waves.  All this is is a soapbox for us to complain or love on drum corps.  Want to go viral and get your word out?  It's not going to be here...go to reddit.  

This platform is a place where RL can come and promote his latest controversial Fire or gotcha moment and have it stoke his ego with no real impact.  And if that's what he wants to do so be it I guess.  At the end of the day this is an echo chamber that goes nowhere and serves nothing but his ego with the interactions he gets....my responses included.  The question I have is "Did you reach out to Cadets?"  Did you frame a question like "Hey I was working on something (burning SCV to the ground) and I discovered that you may not fully be registered under the BCO in PA.  You (insert board member/CEO) may want to look into how to correct this so that your org doesn't run afoul of the great state of PA. Good luck to you this year!"

Just something to consider...

I'm gonna go make dinner for my family now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

The source

Per the PA Dept of State itself

email validation

Per the Charity Registry of PA

No Entired for Cadets

Are you missing a “7” at the end of the EIN field?

Edited by HockeyDad

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

No. I'm acutely familiar with whistleblowing and have a professional network of them that I consult with. One of whom blew the whistle on the UN while working in the MENA region in the previous decade.

OK, is the first step for a "whistleblower" to contact the organization or to post on DCP?

The Cadets have a form for whistleblowing right on their website https://cadets.org/resources which is automatically sent to the BoD and other staff members.

Should that be used or should DCP be used instead?

This isn't an attempt to get The Cadets to fix some missed paperwork (which is the extent of the accusations here, this is not something affecting member safety), it's an attempt to gain online cred and be the main character of DCP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

If y’all think Mr. Lesher is a kook, and you think “DCP is a vacuum” and no one reads it, then why are you reacting so strongly?  He’s just asking a question. If he’s a nut, ignore him. Laugh at him. Whatever. 

Anyway, yes, Terri, reading the title of this thread makes me sick. Someone failed here. It didn’t “just happen.”  A lot of attitude here when there should be remorse. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2