A Cost-Cutting Proposal

45 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

Or just have HS bands compete as SoundSport ensembles to open up to woodwinds, directors would be in a hell of a fix if they have to explain to 50% of their horn line why they can’t march 

Absolutely let them compete in Soundsport.  
But if on field w/ DCI Corps they need to meet instrumentation requirements.  Same way winter drumline doesn’t have a brass section.   Heck, let the woodwind ensemble play Star Spangled Banner, and during intermission. 

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

But if on field w/ DCI Corps they need to meet instrumentation requirements.  Same way winter drumline doesn’t have a brass section.   Heck, let the woodwind ensemble play Star Spangled Banner, and during intermission. 

Sound sport corps have been allowed to compete on field with dci corps.

21 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

What high school bands have a show to perform during the summer when DCI and Soundsport are happening?

The bands that choose to participate would need to develop one.  

I recall in 1980s there was a summer marching band circuit run by BOA(?). 

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Sorry for trying to think up a way to increase number of participating units so regionalization could be viable.  

I like your idea I just disagree with the instrumentation rules. 

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And who doesn't love a sax choir honking the Anthem! 🎷

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’m trying to set a roadblock against this proposal becoming a back-door way to get woodwinds into DCI.  

And that's a great title for our Sax Ensemble.  "Back-Door Winds"! 😁 (I know, I know; I see it)    

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

What high school bands have a show to perform during the summer when DCI and Soundsport are happening?

Yeah - in modern marching, this is kind of a non-starter.  The ecosystem of HS/BOA -> WGI -> DCI throughout the year is pretty well entrenched at this point.  Very, *very* few schools are going to schedule a concert band trip at the end of the school year then turn around and compel kids for a summer circuit, especially after the academic year has ended.  

Mike

22 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Very, *very* few schools are going to schedule a concert band trip at the end of the school year then turn around and compel kids for a summer circuit, especially after the academic year has ended.  

Mike

Agree.. First it’s got to be passed by the school board. And their first thought is “how many voters am I going to urinate off if I pass this”. Not to mention having to open up school facilities that would be closed otherwise. More cost for maintenance, lights, etc…

Edited by JimF-LowBari