What is wrong with US?

I'm all for asking questions, but to shoot first and ask later seems to be the societal norm nowadays, not just on DCP. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm all for asking questions, but to shoot first and ask later seems to be the societal norm nowadays, not just on DCP. 

You should have documentation or at least, other people to back up your claims, before throwing accusations out in the public domain.  Check. Double check. Then check again. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

We’ve had corps fold, corps take a year off, etc. What I have noticed to be constant is people coming onto this site to air those corps’ dirty laundry. Don’t get it confused. I am all for holding corps accountable for what happens with their finances, ESPECIALLY when much of their coins are from donations. But if we protest to love this activity as much as we do, WHY are we trying to destroy the reputations of corps we claim to love? 

Two thoughts:

1.  When a corps has problems with abuse or corruption, and every possible option to address them has already been exhausted (including contacting them directly, as you suggest), going public is the last resort.

2.  Social media makes it possible to air dirty laundry globally, and generate rage in a matter of moments.  People these days are being conditioned to "ready, fire, aim".  These factors combine to generate a rush to judgment based on emotion and the absence of critical thinking.  I call it "cancel culture".

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Two thoughts:

1.  When a corps has problems with abuse or corruption, and every possible option to address them has already been exhausted (including contacting them directly, as you suggest), going public is the last resort.

2.  Social media makes it possible to air dirty laundry globally, and generate rage in a matter of moments.  People these days are being conditioned to "ready, fire, aim".  These factors combine to generate a rush to judgment based on emotion and the absence of critical thinking.  I call it "cancel culture".

I wouldn’t even bother going to the corps administrations. They’ve fumbled the ball way too many times. I give them a vote of no confidence.  I’d go directly to 5-0 👮‍♀️ 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Two thoughts:

This, I already recognize, IF those options have been already exhausted. But from what I've seen on this site regarding certain issues lately, that is not always a true statement. 

As to your second point, when someone or an organization commits crimes or does things to people without their consent, I am all for "cancel culture." 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

This, I already recognize, IF those options have been already exhausted. But from what I've seen on this site regarding certain issues lately, that is not always a true statement. 

Yes.  Like that episode yesterday.  Or anything where you extrapolate on the basis of a website being perfectly up to date.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Two thoughts:

Social media has created far too much gossip mongering, insinuation, inference, etc.,etc. with little fact based, evidenced proof.  Where you said it’s a “ready, aim, fire” conditioning, it seems it is more often “ready, fire, aim”!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Social media has created far too much gossip mongering, insinuation, inference, etc.,etc. with little fact based, evidenced proof.  Where you said it’s a “ready, aim, fire” conditioning, it seems it is more often “ready, fire, aim”!

I did say "ready, fire, aim".  Maybe it is more like "fire, aim, ready".  Or just "fire".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

We’ve had corps fold, corps take a year off, etc. What I have noticed to be constant is people coming onto this site to air those corps’ dirty laundry. Don’t get it confused. I am all for holding corps accountable for what happens with their finances, ESPECIALLY when much of their coins are from donations. But if we protest to love this activity as much as we do, WHY are we trying to destroy the reputations of corps we claim to love? 

Drum corps is still a niche activity. We don't get much support outside of those who already know about us. With all the changes that have taken place just over the past 20 years, we STILL have a relative small group of people who watch and enjoy this activity. Pandemics, inflation, and other things have have caused so many issues with in society so it comes as no surprise to me that drum corps is feeling the same pain. 

Maybe instead of pouring salt on the wounds, we should be talking directly to those corps and possibly provide suggestions on fixing the issues issues they're facing. Not saying it would be an easy task, but anything is better than coming onto a forum and posting terrible news just to get a rise out of people. Just a thought. 

i agree.......and don't agree.

sadly talking to those in charge often gets you sunshine and roses answers or flat out ignored. there's some transparency in some places, but drum corps has proven time and time again to be reactionary only after the worst possible case scenarios unfold. sadly too many good intentioned people refuse to open up to let people help, and try to control everything, and make it worse. and in this day and age with lawsuits flying hourly, and it seems the statutes of limitations being widened to bring old wounds forward, airing laundry sometimes is sadly the only way to get change and transparency to happen.

it's a double edged sword indeed.  but until the corps themselves get ahead of #### before it breaks and be open, it's the world we live in today. if you think it's bad here, check out Reddit

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1